Copyright Issues.

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Big Benn

by Big Benn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:52 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:
Bryan Benn wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:Per the U.S. copyright law (I believe this web site is hosted in the U.S.):

"(a) Copyright protection subsists, in accordance with this title, in original works of authorship fixed in any tangible medium of expression, now known or later developed, from which they can be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated, either directly or with the aid of a machine or device. Works of authorship include the following categories:

1 - 7 edited out by Bryan Benn

and

8 architectural works."..

Sod it. I have just completed a full size replica of the Statue of Liberty to put in my back yard......

I think the copyright on that has run out. Anyway, it was a gift from the frogs, so they would own the copyright. Screw 'em, make as many copies as you want!

Made by the frogs? :shock:

Yuk. I'll be out smashing up my replica shortly.

:wink:

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:58 pm

Mountain Impulse wrote:The objector says he "registered" the title "Forbidden Mountains" in contrast to the article which refers to "Forbidden Mountain" singular, so what's the problem? Precision is pretty important in intellectual property matters. I wonder where (which country) he supposedly registered his book title as opposed to placing the book itself for copyright protection?

The two words have such such universal coinage, almost attaining the status of cliche, that it seems highly unlikely they could be validly copyrighted.

Too bad this guy pulled his admirable contributions. Sounds like at bottom it could be a rivalry sort of thing with Alex.

You can only file for a copyright on something which is your own original creation. Two words just ain't gonna' stand up! If someone can show that the two words were used in combination before you did, the copyright is going to be held invalid. Hell, I doubt they'd let you register it in the first place.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:11 pm

Depends on the salaries of your lawyers:
http://www.lvrj.com/business/dispute-se ... 18002.html

nartreb

by nartreb » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:19 pm

Salary has nothing to do with it, even a paralegal knows the difference between trademark and copyright :wink:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:46 pm

"Forbidden Mountain" has TM after the name on a Disney list.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:41 pm

MoapaPk wrote:"Forbidden Mountain" has TM after the name on a Disney list.

Two different entities (people, companies, etc.) can each hold a registered trade mark for the same words if the two would not be confused (such as "X" corn flakes and "X" laundry detergent). Disney is trademarking the name of part of a theme park; I'd bet that neither the book or the article are in violation. Also I doubt that you could register a trademark for a book title, although you might be able to register a trademark for the title of a series of books - it would of course have to be fairly unique and probably previously unused for that purpose (you can't own something that someone else has already been using).

Previous

Return to Site Feedback