STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Jow

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

by Jow » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:38 am

Just got back from quick superior weekend.
Nabbed Timms Hill and Mt Arvon for high points 42 and 43. I enjoyed both. Colors were changing on leafs. Mt Arvon now has a 1.5mile trail each way which is fun little secret waterfall too. Also did canyon falls hike down road. We did kayak Apostle Islands and see a Milwaukee Brewers game. All recommended. Not bad for two nights trip (lot of driving). Will have to save Eagle for later getting to business end of this list. Didn’t get any in 2020 like many others. Relocated from Florida up to Boston so much more access to training peaks going forward.

The following user would like to thank Jow for this post
Alpinist, jdzaharia, Woodswalker

Jow

by Jow » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:04 am

Thanks for words of encouragement! Even if I stop tomorrow (which I won’t) it’s been great journey, I wasn’t a hiker or outdoors adventure type prior to starting and this hobby opened whole fun world to me. I liked your blog post on Maine prominence peaks although not healthy for me to read since I don’t need anymore peakbagging ideas. Right now plan on finishing Catskills 35ers in next few years and make progress on all Northeast 4K footers. I was going to do Borah this summer but I chickened out prior to booking flights and switched to easy objectives. I’ve been doing indoor rock climbing now and again and just spent full day climbing in Gunks this Saturday with an ems course, next time I’ll be more prepared. Thinking Hood this may/June then Borah 2023. Are you really going for Greenland that’s amazing!

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:23 pm

Puma concolor wrote:It took me seven years to write about all of what happened way up there.

Shocking new details! LOL.

https://highpointerpuma.wordpress.com/2022/06/08/denali-2015-the-ecstasy-and-the-agony/

Wow, glad you made it!! Nice job on the write up.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

Please note that the property at Charles Mound is up for sale. If/when it is sold, there is no guarantee that the new owners will allow access to the highpoint. It would be wise to check with the Highpointers Club before planning a visit.

McCannster

by McCannster » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:22 pm

Alpinist wrote:Please note that the property at Charles Mound is up for sale. If/when it is sold, there is no guarantee that the new owners will allow access to the highpoint. It would be wise to check with the Highpointers Club before planning a visit.

The state of Illinois should really just buy that and turn in into a park already.

Jow

by Jow » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:02 pm

When the house next to Jeremiah Hill in RI went up for sale I very much thought about buying and opening a coffee shop or small brewery that was high point themed or something. It’s like 2miles from my parents so may have been fun. Anyways someone could do same in IL.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:32 am

For those interested, the highpoints of Oklahoma and Pennsylvania have changed due to super accurate LiDAR measurements.

The highpoint of Oklahoma is still on Black Mesa, but not at the location of the monument:

https://listsofjohn.com/peak/17868

Mount Davis is not the highpoint of Pennsylvania, but a brushy hill to the north is the true highpoint:

https://listsofjohn.com/peak/218278

The latter is a very tedious bushwhack.

The list of true state highpoint finishers took a huge nosedive due to the changes, but it remains to be seen how many people go for the true highpoint of Pennsylvania.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
ZeeJay

Previous

Return to General