Stok Kangri in May?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
mt_daydream

Stok Kangri in May?

by mt_daydream » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:15 pm

I was planning a climbing trip to the Indian Himalayas in May (2006), but my partner has bailed.
It looks like I might be going by myself now. Since I'll be soloing, I'm thinking more along the lines
of attempting a "trekking" peak. I was looking at Stok Kangri. From what I've read so far, it
looks feasible to attempt it solo - at least there are no sections where you would need to be
roped up (of course, I realize that its more than 6k in height and hence I should allow plenty
of time for acclimatization). Here are a few questions that I had -

1. I contacted a couple of trekking agencies, and one of them said May is a little early for
attempting trekking peaks, as there will be high avalanche danger. Is this true in general?

2. Will there usually be much (or any) snow on the mountain in early May? How about towards
the end of May? I wouldn't mind having snow though.

3. I'd like to do the peak "by myself" - I mean I don't want to be guided up it, but I'll probably
need some help carrying stuff till my first camp. Can I find some local porters after I get there?
Or should I make all arrangements beforehand?

4. Do I need to get any permit(s) to climb Stok Kangri (I hold an Indian passport)?

Thanks much in advance for any info :) .

Lui_DK

Re: Stok Kangri in May?

by Lui_DK » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:36 pm

Hi Daydream

1. I contacted a couple of trekking agencies, and one of them said May is a little early for
attempting trekking peaks, as there will be high avalanche danger. Is this true in general?
2. Will there usually be much (or any) snow on the mountain in early May? How about towards
the end of May? I wouldn't mind having snow though.

- yep ! There are usually still lots of snow in May in the high passes in the Ladakh region. The upper slopes of Stok Kangri are prone to avalanches, so the locals are right on that one.

3. I'd like to do the peak "by myself" - I mean I don't want to be guided up it, but I'll probably
need some help carrying stuff till my first camp. Can I find some local porters after I get there?
Or should I make all arrangements beforehand?

- You can do the peak alone, but in May I think you’ll be VERY alone! So you better think twice about doing it… It’s not technically at all but if you have an accident up there alone you’ll be in real trouble! Go in the season, it’s safer. Early June is probably the earliest, but again weather conditions change very quickly in Ladakhs high regions. I had some snow in August…
- About using horsemen I’ll say it’s just a matter of good acclimatization! I personally carried all my gear for a 3day trip to Stok Kangri, stuff like a light tent, stove, food, sleeping bag etc. Do the Markha Valley trek before you start and you’ll be in perfect condition. It’s a real nice trek, a bit crowded though in the high season. But Ladakh has many other good treks to offer.

4. Do I need to get any permit(s) to climb Stok Kangri (I hold an Indian passport)?

- Well you’ll better check with IMF : http://www.indmount.org/imf_instr_ie.html. As far as I know Indians don’t pay permits, but is instead charged a deposit for helicopter service. But how this works for a single person I don’t know.

One last piece of advice is to buy the guidebook from TRAILBLAZER about trekking in Ladakh. In the book there is a reasonable map on the route of Stok Kangri and how get there and other valuable information.

Regards

Lui_DK

mt_daydream

by mt_daydream » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:12 pm

Thanks very much for all the info Lui_DK!!

The trouble is that I can go only in the month of May. I can make it in early May or
towards the end of the month.

Can I assume that the base camp location is in a safe place as far as avalanches
are concerned? In that case, I think I'll go up there and make the call based on
how the conditions turn out to be. I was thinking of carrying all my equipment
to stay up there for four or five days. Even if I don't get to go all the way to the
top, it'll still be a good intro to Himalayas for me I suppose.

Thanks for the tip on the trekking guidebook. I just ordered it :D.

Lui_DK

by Lui_DK » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:17 pm

Hi Daydream

Well it would nice to hear a first hand report on conditions in May in Ladakh. Some say it's way to early and others say go go 8)

Ladakh is a wonderful place with several 6000-meter peaks. Besides from Stok Kangri, you may have a look at Kang Yatze, which is a bit higher (100-200 meters or so) than Stok. It's also mentioned in the Trailblazer book (but without details, at least in my edition).

It should be easy peasy, at least the "facile" route. I found this on Google : http://www.moran-mountain.co.uk/Ladakh- ... index.html.

Good luck with the climb and remember to put up a trip report on SP :-)

Regards, Lui

raj96290

Hi

by raj96290 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:24 pm

kballs,
:D
what a surprise, i just spotted "stok kangri in May? as a recent forum post and thought this might be you. I have no commitments this summer, will be staying at UNC. might be able to
go to India for 2-3 weeks in May :) - lets talk soon !!

sudi

mt_daydream

by mt_daydream » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:49 pm

Correcting your link - Kang Yatze. Sounds interesting as well. Will see what shapes up.

Schweet :P . I smell a partner...

I'm definitely going there in May. Will report back here what happens.

Return to Asia