Stok Kangri

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
mt_daydream

Re: Stok Kangri

by mt_daydream » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:51 am

lynsandtone wrote:1) When is the best time of year, to experience some snow on the mountain, but hot weather lower down ?

Mid to late May, or early June. The "prime" time to climb Stok Kangri is usually given as mid-July to mid-August. But usually by that time, there won't be much snow up there.

lynsandtone wrote:2) Is it possible to visit the area and climb independently ?

Yes you can. It might help to have a porter/man with a donkey/mule carry your stuff up to base camp though. My friend and I tried to do it all by ourselves in May, but got turned around as my friend got sick. We had planned a trip of ~8 days.

lynsandtone wrote:3) Will I need a permit, some websites suggest I would but others suggest not ?

Foreign nationals will need to get a permit for ANY peak in India. Stok Kangri is a trekking peak, and hence the permit fees are much lower than for other peaks, for which they most often require that you be part of an "expedition". Again, since its a trekking peak, you could climb by yourselves (i.e., no need for expedition leader, liaison officer etc.), but you will have to get a permit. I don't know the details of current permit fees, and it looks like the web site of the Indian Mountaineering Federation is down as they have not renewed the domain name :shock: .

lynsandtone wrote:4) We will be spending some time in Delhi, post climb, so we'll have a mixture of clothing that we don't really want to cart around Ladakh, is it possible to deposit some stuff at the airport in Delhi, for collection later ?

I don't have any useful info on this topic, but I'm guessing there should be lockers available in Delhi airport. Alternately, if you're planning to stay in a hotel in Delhi, drop your stuff off there before you head to Ladakh. They'll be happy to hold it for you for no extra charge. I would rather do that than use lockers.

Have fun in Ladakh, and post a TR when you come back!

dmiki

by dmiki » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:38 pm

I'm basically repeating what Mt_D said.

lynsandtone wrote:1) When is the best time of year, to experience some snow on the mountain, but hot weather lower down ?

August was */!+"'% cold on the way up to the summit. I was begging for the sun to come up. Snow only on the summit and some patches for about half an hour below. Some icy sections further down when traversing to/from the ridge, well above the glacier.

2) Is it possible to visit the area and climb independently ?

Yes.

3) Will I need a permit, some websites suggest I would but others suggest not ?

Officially you do.

4) We will be spending some time in Delhi, post climb, so we'll have a mixture of clothing that we don't really want to cart around Ladakh, is it possible to deposit some stuff at the airport in Delhi, for collection later ?

With heightened security I am not sure about that. You can always leave it at your hotel/guesthouse in Leh, but you might do the same in Delhi and reduce the size/weight of your luggage to Ladakh. Or how about a railway station?

dmiki

by dmiki » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:43 pm

mt_daydream wrote:it looks like the web site of the Indian Mountaineering Federation is down as they have not renewed the domain name

Actually, http://www.indmount.org/ is up and running

Return to Asia