Visiting California in October

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Big Benn

by Big Benn » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:51 am

Lolli wrote:This morning I was going to buy cigarettes in a gas station.
The clerk, a lady in her early forties goes: ID, please.
I say: Excuse me?
"Can I see ID please?"
"Eh, what?"

(I thought maybe it suddenly became illegal to smoke or so).
She explains patiently that if you look to be below thirty, you have to show ID.
WHHOOAA!!
I told her she just made my day.

The hike into Tyndall Gorge was beautiful too!!

I have told you that you don't look 87! LOL!

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:53 am

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Thanks chief they're beautiful!

DMT

Yes, great photos Chief. Just hoping we get conditions like that again on our small Welsh mountains this coming winter.

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:55 am

Lolli wrote:oh my god...
:oops:

My Dingus, you're one storyteller... and it's all truth. I cannot say the world went grey, as I went to Colorado, but I do miss that trip and you.

I hope you'll let Dingus post those photos and the words as a "Lolli was here" TR. The last but one shot with the deer and the "bye Lolli" is superb.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Lolli wrote:
lisae wrote:Hey Lolli, so when are you going to Death Valley? I've been corresponding with cp & dh and I are planning to meet you guys at Furnace Creek on Saturday.

I can't believe I am going from rain and stormy weather to heat!

Saturday. Perfect! See you in Death Valley!!
:D

wow

Death Valley - my number one bit of Cali unfinished biz

I've attempted that twice and got flooded out both times. Road closed. Hope you have better luck.

lisae

by lisae » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:50 pm

John Duffield wrote:
Lolli wrote:
lisae wrote:Hey Lolli, so when are you going to Death Valley? I've been corresponding with cp & dh and I are planning to meet you guys at Furnace Creek on Saturday.

I can't believe I am going from rain and stormy weather to heat!

Saturday. Perfect! See you in Death Valley!!

wow

Death Valley - my number one bit of Cali unfinished biz

I've attempted that twice and got flooded out both times. Road closed. Hope you have better luck.

The weather forecast is calling for hot and clear days.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:37 pm

It's a clear, windy morning in CO, I'm finishing my cuppa joe, cat on my lap, and I am thinking about how loathe I am to take Lolli to the airport.

I could write a trip report, not as well as DMT, to describe all that we've done but it would be hard to put into words all that has connected us. Human to human, friend to friend, sister to sister. We've been this little global microcosm, a chance for the world and us to become the best of what we can be, to be patient and kind, not at odds for anything (other than I didn't let her do the dishes :lol: ). Seeing the beauty of my world through another's eyes is always a gift.

Safe travels, Lolli, thanks for the honor of sharing this time and vision with you. Till next time...

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:46 pm

MarthaP wrote:It's a clear, windy morning in CO, I'm finishing my cuppa joe, cat on my lap, and I am thinking about how loathe I am to take Lolli to the airport.

I could write a trip report, not as well as DMT, to describe all that we've done but it would be hard to put into words all that has connected us. Human to human, friend to friend, sister to sister. We've been this little global microcosm, a chance for the world and us to become the best of what we can be, to be patient and kind, not at odds for anything (other than I didn't let her do the dishes :lol: ). Seeing the beauty of my world through another's eyes is always a gift.

Safe travels, Lolli, thanks for the honor of sharing this time and vision with you. Till next time...

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:58 am

I've just returned from leaving Lolli at the airport and running errands on the way home (including installation of four very beefy winter tires so I can continue to get to our wild places).

We gave Lolli at big CO send-off.

First thing this morning, a very brave and fluffy red fox parked his butt in the neighbor's doorway and sat looking up at the second story window of my cottage where Lolli and I secretly admired him in return. As we drove down my street, the three resident doe and two (formerly speckled) twin fawns walked slowly by the car and peered at us, completely unafraid. Then the buffalo herd that we'd so diligently searched for the day before was crowded up against the I-70 freeway fence.

Not a bad way to go, eh?

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:58 am

goldenhopper wrote:
MarthaP wrote:I've just returned from leaving Lolli at the airport and running errands on the way home (including installation of four very beefy winter tires so I can continue to get to our wild places).

We gave Lolli at big CO send-off.

First thing this morning, a very brave and fluffy red fox parked his butt in the neighbor's doorway and sat looking up at the second story window of my cottage where Lolli and I secretly admired him in return. As we drove down my street, the three resident doe and two (formerly speckled) twin fawns walked slowly by the car and peered at us, completely unafraid. Then the buffalo herd that we'd so diligently searched for the day before was crowded up against the I-70 freeway fence.

Not a bad way to go, eh?

She arrives at my house in just a few short hours. I hope nobody gets hurt! Namely me... :wink:

Don't even give it a second thought. You'll have a great time with her. :D

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:07 am

Bryan Benn wrote:
MarthaP wrote:It's a clear, windy morning in CO, I'm finishing my cuppa joe, cat on my lap, and I am thinking about how loathe I am to take Lolli to the airport.

Bryan, m'love, you're next! v :D

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:02 am

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! She slept almost 11 hours the first night she was here. Jeebah, what did you do to her, squish? 8) :shock: :lol:

JasonH

by JasonH » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:19 am

goldenhopper wrote:
butitsadryheat wrote:
squishy wrote:Oh man, the trees are changing, I have to get over there...

ghey :wink:

How JasonH of you... :lol:

Ghey.

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:43 am

MarthaP wrote:
Bryan Benn wrote:

Oh. And I'd even do the dishes. I know now how to do it. You pull down the white door, load everything in, add the detergent tablet, shut the door and press "START". :D :wink:

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:05 pm

Bryan Benn wrote:
MarthaP wrote:
Bryan Benn wrote:

Oh. And I'd even do the dishes. I know now how to do it. You pull down the white door, load everything in, add the detergent tablet, shut the door and press "START". :D :wink:

Hmmmm. The only white door I have that pulls down is to the oven. I suppose you could bake the dirt off... :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to California