Vegas trail priorities

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
MoapaPk

Vegas trail priorities

by MoapaPk » Sat May 28, 2011 6:58 pm

http://www.lvrj.com/news/gypsum-ridge-d ... 66603.html

The story above is about a plan to spend several million developing a 1.2-mile trail on the outskirts of Vegas.

While I am pro-preservation, and all for good trails, this one strikes me as odd and expensive. It is a bizarre counterpoint to California's budget woes, where they are seeking 22 million to keep some real gems open.

The area described is barren and nondescript. I love hiking through the desert, but even I would rush through this area. This area will be hot and unpleasant for much of the year. Having seen the almost total lack of use for other multi-million dollar facilities that have been built in the low-elevation outskirts of Vegas, I have to wonder what they are thinking. Maybe this a benign public works project to keep the ranks of Las Vegas construction companies working; maybe it's a different color of money that "has to be spent."

A very nice trail up Black Mountain was built by a local in his spare time, for no charge. That trail gets a lot of use, and is in a far more scenic area. Officials tend to describe these non-official trails as "unsustainable," but the Black Mountain trail shows no signs of erosion, and is thoughtfully switchbacked (unlike many BLM-created trails).

lcarreau

Re: Vegas trail priorities

by lcarreau » Sun May 29, 2011 3:07 am

Definitely money of a different colour.

Hope the Forest Service doesn't get involved, as they screw up everything they touch.

:shock:
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)