Boron & Tehachapi CA

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
GlacierCountry

Boron & Tehachapi CA

by GlacierCountry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:01 pm

I occasionally get out to Boron for work and stay in Tehachapi. Are there any areas close by for scrambling or technical climbing?
Mountains and Music

Steve Pratt

Re: Boron & Tehachapi CA

by Steve Pratt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:31 am

Not really. Poor guy. Guess it depends on what you mean by close. The Tehachipi mountains are pretty, but there really isnt any climbing there. Its a straight shot to the southern sierra from Boron but you got a couple hours drive to get any decent climbing. Theres also the Inyos and Panamints that have a few technical routes, but not much. Or you might find a few sport routes in an old borax hole. Supposedly there is some sport climbing at the Trona Pinnacles, but I suspect you might find it a bit of a let down.

Lots of hiking, fossil digging and gem hunting in that neighborhood. But I'm afraid you're gonna have to drive a ways from Boron to find any ups.

The following user would like to thank Steve Pratt for this post
GlacierCountry

GlacierCountry

by GlacierCountry » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:23 pm

Thanks Steve. That's what I was afraid of. Maybe if I plan it right a few hour drive won't be an issue.
Mountains and Music

Tom Kenney

by Tom Kenney » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:05 am

1) Burnt Granola area at the CA-14/CA-178 junction, but word is the rock sucks (name implies as much)

2) Fossil Falls about 15 mins north of US-395/9 Mile junction, short but good quality basalt

3) Butterbredt Canyon area has some granite domes and towers that might be worth a look

The following user would like to thank Tom Kenney for this post
GlacierCountry

Return to California