What is the best middle layer of clothing against cold?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
geagleiam

What is the best middle layer of clothing against cold?

by geagleiam » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:41 am

What is, in your opinion, the best pullover, sweater or other middle layer of clothing against cold? What do you use as a middle layer and could you mention the lowest temperatures in which you have used it?

radson

Re: What is the best middle layer of clothing against cold?

by radson » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:43 pm

I have field tested many garments in extreme conditions. Tossing up between polarfleece, polar fleece pro, power shield, ultra down, polarguard, primaloft, icebreaker 260, smartwool, ibex woo, alpaca wool. I have finally settled up on the following.

The following user would like to thank radson for this post
Damien Gildea, geagleiam, mrchad9, TimB

geagleiam

by geagleiam » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:43 pm

Would you give some information about that (brand, model)?

TimB

by TimB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Geagleiam,
I like the Patagonia "Regulator" series of fleece for a midlayer. Depending on temperature, I go with an R1, R2, or for subzero(as in Fahrenheit) an R3.

The following user would like to thank TimB for this post
geagleiam

Tonka

by Tonka » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:25 pm

The problem with pullovers is you have to pull them over. I don't mind so much if I think I will be wearing it the whole outing but when it's coming on and off it's a pain.

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:43 pm

TimB wrote:Geagleiam,
I like the Patagonia "Regulator" series of fleece for a midlayer. Depending on temperature, I go with an R1, R2, or for subzero(as in Fahrenheit) an R3.

I have to say, I just tried my new R2 jacket yesterday on a chilly but very humid hike, w/ rain coming down half the time. I was initially overheating,
so took off the R2 and then was only wearing a Cap3 baselayer and a Marmot Driclime windjacket. Ok at first, and this is kind of my standard layer
for such drippy outings, though the Cap3 was probably a bit much for the conditions yesterday.
Anyway, though I was better off initially w/out the R2, I soon was overheating again. . . So, decided to try just the R2 over the Cap, w/out the windjacket,
and, I have to say, I was very impressed with the R2. Considering the high humidity, how fast I was moving and the heat I was generating,
that R2 breathed like a champ. Very interesting, impressive jacket. Super lightweight, and I could feel the breeze coming through sometimes,
as its not windproof, but it also has some stretch panels along the bottom of the pits to the forearms, and along the sides, allowing heat/moisture to escape.
Just warm enough, as well, and when it began raining more on my descent, I put a lightweight rainjacket on over the R2, and then was dry and toasty.

Very impressed with this piece, and look at it as possibly the heretofore missing link in my winter excursions, due to its breathability capabilities.
Maybe Dane can chime in, as I know he likes the Arcteryx Lt, which I believe is similar to the R2, though with a hood, etc.
Anyway, so far so good with this R2!

The following user would like to thank dskoon for this post
geagleiam, TimB

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:48 pm

I like my Patagucci Puffball under a hardshell parka. The incredible amounts of abuse I've taken with this combo, is amazing.

In fact, the puffie is a fabulous travel companion since it's useful under a number of scenarios.

The following user would like to thank John Duffield for this post
geagleiam

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:56 pm

John Duffield wrote:I like my Patagucci Puffball under a hardshell parka. The incredible amounts of abuse I've taken with this combo, is amazing.

In fact, the puffie is a fabulous travel companion since it's useful under a number of scenarios.

Yep. . . Is it in fact a Puffball, John, or a Micropuff? Either way, a good combo!

The following user would like to thank dskoon for this post
geagleiam

TimB

by TimB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:34 pm

dskoon wrote:
TimB wrote:Geagleiam,

I have to say, I just tried my new R2 jacket yesterday on a chilly but very humid hike, w/ rain coming down half the time. I was initially overheating,
so took off the R2 and then was only wearing a Cap3 baselayer and a Marmot Driclime windjacket. Ok at first, and this is kind of my standard layer
for such drippy outings, though the Cap3 was probably a bit much for the conditions yesterday.
Anyway, though I was better off initially w/out the R2, I soon was overheating again. . . So, decided to try just the R2 over the Cap, w/out the windjacket,
and, I have to say, I was very impressed with the R2. Considering the high humidity, how fast I was moving and the heat I was generating,
that R2 breathed like a champ. Very interesting, impressive jacket. Super lightweight, and I could feel the breeze coming through sometimes,
as its not windproof, but it also has some stretch panels along the bottom of the pits to the forearms, and along the sides, allowing heat/moisture to escape.
Just warm enough, as well, and when it began raining more on my descent, I put a lightweight rainjacket on over the R2, and then was dry and toasty.

Very impressed with this piece, and look at it as possibly the heretofore missing link in my winter excursions, due to its breathability capabilities.
Maybe Dane can chime in, as I know he likes the Arcteryx Lt, which I believe is similar to the R2, though with a hood, etc.
Anyway, so far so good with this R2!

Some interesting observations!
My midlayer of choice is generally a R1 Hoody with a cap2 underneath. I sweat like crazy, so the moisture management aspect, for me, is crucial.
I (often)can get away with a micro/nanopuff vest/pullover as my outer layer, but hard shell rain jackets just don't work with me, even with pit zips.
My 'weapon of choice' these days for an outer layer is a Patty. Knifeblade or Northwall.
Amazing breathability with these two softshells.

The following user would like to thank TimB for this post
geagleiam

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:59 pm

My midlayer of choice is the MontBell ThermaWrap UL jacket. It is similar to the Patagonia NanoPuff. Super lightweight and super warm. With a full front zipper I have perfect climate control. I then adjust my baselayer weight from DuoTherm (typical stuff you buy from Campmor) to adding a Patagonia R2 over the Duotherm to full on ECWS Level 2 (essentially Patagonia R4).

The following user would like to thank DukeJH for this post
geagleiam

no avatar
luzak00

by luzak00 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:37 am

I have a closet full of mid layers. I have two favorites: Gamma MX, for cold activities, done-in-a-day; and the NW Alpine Spider Light Hoody, for a super-thin, breathable, comfortable fleece, good for all sorts of stuff.

The following user would like to thank luzak00 for this post
geagleiam

radson

by radson » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:09 am

In all seriousness my current weapon of choice is Patagonia r1 hoody over silkweight capilene layer. Then either a fleece like MH Monkey For or something of simlar ilk. If colder I have been using the Arcteryx Atom LT. I like the side vents.

The following user would like to thank radson for this post
geagleiam

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:06 pm

dskoon wrote:
John Duffield wrote:I like my Patagucci Puffball under a hardshell parka. The incredible amounts of abuse I've taken with this combo, is amazing.

Yep. . . Is it in fact a Puffball, John, or a Micropuff? Either way, a good combo!

It's the old one! Pataguucci does update the names from time to time.

My puffball is even my go to Snowbird getaway jacket. The one you leave the house in cold temps and arrive in the tropics. Need something light that can spend most of the trip out of the way.

Having two layers gives you more flexibility. Puffball only at a campfire at the lower elevations, wear everything you've got in the -40 bag at night in the high camps.

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:40 pm

John Duffield wrote:
dskoon wrote:

It's the old one! Pataguucci does update the names from time to time.

My puffball is even my go to Snowbird getaway jacket. The one you leave the house in cold temps and arrive in the tropics. Need something light that can spend most of the trip out of the way.

Having two layers gives you more flexibility. Puffball only at a campfire at the lower elevations, wear everything you've got in the -40 bag at night in the high camps.

+1!
Yeah, my cousin has that ol' Puffball jacket, which inspired me to get the Micropuff, which I do like very much. Very versatile, as you mentioned.
Interestingly enough, the new version of the Micropuff looks a bit like the old Puffball. . .

pvnisher

by pvnisher » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:34 pm

I hate to recommend Patagonia (because of the snobbishness), but the Piton Hybrid hoodie is my favorite. Mix of Windpro and Power Dry fabrics, and a super-snug hood to fit under a helmet for those really cold days. Very nice.

Other than that, anythin made from Powerstretch. REI makes a nice pull-over, as do other companies. But a Powerstretch midlayer is tops.

I don't like down or synthetic as a midlayer. I get too clammy since they don't breathe or dry fast enough for me. I like them as outer later or for stops, but not when actually on the move.

The following user would like to thank pvnisher for this post
geagleiam

Next

Return to Gear