Which 2-3 peaks should I do in Nepal?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
drManhattan

Which 2-3 peaks should I do in Nepal?

by drManhattan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:43 am

I am looking to head to Nepal in April and will have about 1 month to get in a few peaks and I am not sure logistically what would be possible.

I have climbed Island Peak already so don't want to do that again.

The level of climbs I would be looking at would be around these:

Pokalde
Lobuche East
Mera Peak
Tharpu Chuli
Kyajo Ri

Maybe there are some others I have missed or maybe I should be looking to do something a bit more technical and/or higher. The only other mountains I have climbed apart from IP are Huayna Potosi and Elbrus.

Are there any 2-3 peaks I could climb in this time frame that also consider a reasonable acclimitisation schedule?

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Which 2-3 peaks should I do in Nepal?

by Scott » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:05 pm

What is your skill level? Some of those peaks (or at least Kyajo Ri) are harder than the peaks you list as the ones you have already climbed.

In a month you should be able to do two of those peaks, if close together and in good shape. Three sounds like too much, but a combination of two of Lobuche East, Pokalade, and/or Mera would probably be the most logical combinations in a short time period.

Personally, if you acclimatize well, I'd go with Lobuche East and Mera Peak combination because it would let you see two different areas of the Khumbu, but time wise, Lobuche East and Pokalade would be the most expedient choice since time is a factor. As mentioned, three is probably a bit much for most of us unless you choose peaks close together.

Tharpu Chili isn't anywhere near the area of the rest of those peaks on your list, so it would be hard to combine with any others on your list in a short time period.
Last edited by Scott on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
drManhattan

by drManhattan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:28 pm

Scott wrote:What is your skill level? Some of those peaks (or at least Kyajo Ri) are harder than the peaks you list as the ones you have already climbed.

In a month you should be able to do two of those peaks, if close together and in good shape. Three sounds like too much, but a combination of two of Lobuche East, Pokalade, and/or Mera would probably be the most logical combinations in a short time period.

Personally, if yo uacclimatize well, I'd go with Lobuche East and Mera Peak combination because it would let you see two different areas of the Khumbu, but time wise, Lobuche East and Pokalade would be the most expedient choice since time is a factor. As mentioned, three is probably a bit much for most of us unless you choose peaks close together.

Tharpu Chili isn't anywhere near the area of the rest of those peaks on your list, so it would be hard to combine with any others on your list in a short time period.

Good info. This is what I am looking for. I am not very experienced at all but I want to gradually do tougher peaks as my goal is to eventuall climb an 8000er. So there might not be a lot of use doing climbs that are easier than I have done previously unless it is just to get miles into my legs. I am gradually trying to increase difficulty and fitness required.

radson

by radson » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Hmm, if your aim is an 8,000 m peak (assuming Cho Oyu, Everest) it wouldn't hurt to do some jugging practice on Ama Dablam post monsoon

A Mera, Baruntse combo could be on the cards as well, if you had 5 weeks.

Return to Asia