Scots Team

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Boydie

by Boydie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:38 am

Nanuls wrote:I've been up in Snowdonia taking advantage of some unusually early winter conditions..

Had the pleasure of that also in the Cairnwell yesterday, great eh! :D

Nanuls wrote:
I think it would be a good idea to get daveyboy involved since he has written good pages on The Cairnwell, Glas Moal and Broad Cairn, and appears to know the area quite well. I'll PM him and see what he thinks.

Good idea Dan, I'm sure David will be up for that.

Nanuls wrote:The logistical type sections also need to be split up between us i.e. Red Tap, Getting There, Camping and Accommodation, Mountain Conditions and External Links. I would also suggest sections on guidebooks and maps, which I can add if you like. As for the External Links section, I think with a few additions, this can largely be copied from existing pages.

I think now we need to think about, what steps need to be taken next, if everyone agrees, the page that Clint has created should be turned into a Custom Object, and that this be the page we upload our work to. It needs a little extra work on its structure, but I can give that a quick look at today.

I'm more than happy to cover the Red Tape, Getting There and Camping & Accommodation sections for all three regions.

A maps and guidebooks section should definitely be included.

I think Clint' page is fine, with just a few minor details to iron out. I think we are at the stage where it would be good to change it to a custom object, as you are saying, and let the work commence.

Stephen

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:36 pm

Great, in that case I suggest we give Eric and David admin rights, change the page to a Custom Object and begin work.

Clint, since you created the page are you alright with that?

BTW I've made a few additions to the page, mostly scructural stuff, but I've also made a few suggestions on content. If we make any changes I suggest we 'sign' our work, just so everyone knows who's doing what in the page making process.

Proterra

by Proterra » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:37 pm

Nanuls wrote:Great, in that case I suggest we give Eric and David admin rights, change the page to a Custom Object and begin work.

Clint, since you created the page are you alright with that?

BTW I've made a few additions to the page, mostly scructural stuff, but I've also made a few suggestions on content. If we make any changes I suggest we 'sign' our work, just so everyone knows who's doing what in the page making process.

Go for it. I didn't gave you all admin rights just to look at it ;-)

Boydie

by Boydie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:33 pm

visentin wrote:
If you wanted, and if it is relevant to you, you could cover the Cruachan range. At the moment this is only covered with a solitary mountain page, so an A&R page would be possible to do straight away. The Loch Lomond area is also uncovered, although I have done a page for Ben Lomond. In theory I could probably attach this to Arrochar Alps range as it's just across the Loch. :?

Stephen

The only thing is that I also have walked the only Ben Cruachan in the area ! (or does the Ben Lui/Ben Oss range belong to it ?)

I would say that Ben Lui/Ben Oss would be under the A&R of Tyndrum. I have added the A&R's I think would come into that region onto the page. The Tyndrum & Crianlarich/Balquidder A&R's might be of interest for you to contribute to?

Proterra

by Proterra » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Boydie wrote:
visentin wrote:
If you wanted, and if it is relevant to you, you could cover the Cruachan range. At the moment this is only covered with a solitary mountain page, so an A&R page would be possible to do straight away. The Loch Lomond area is also uncovered, although I have done a page for Ben Lomond. In theory I could probably attach this to Arrochar Alps range as it's just across the Loch. :?

Stephen

The only thing is that I also have walked the only Ben Cruachan in the area ! (or does the Ben Lui/Ben Oss range belong to it ?)

I would say that Ben Lui/Ben Oss would be under the A&R of Tyndrum. I have added the A&R's I think would come into that region onto the page. The Tyndrum & Crianlarich/Balquidder A&R's might be of interest for you to contribute to?

Ben Lui / Ben Oss is definitely Tyndrum. I'm going to drink beer now. something which I figured that would take me 3-5 hours took me 11.

Boydie

by Boydie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:47 pm

Leviathan wrote:Go for it. I didn't gave you all admin rights just to look at it ;-)

I have added more names (Western & Central just now) for what I think the smaller A&R's within each region should be onto the page. Are these okay with everyone :?: Feel free to change them where you think neccessary.

Dan, the section on other useful information. If you want, I can copy the basic guide to Gaelic and info on Hillphones that I already have on other pages into this section :?:

Stephen

Proterra

by Proterra » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:59 pm

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:13 pm

Boydie wrote:I have added more names (Western & Central just now) for what I think the smaller A&R's within each region should be onto the page. Are these okay with everyone :?: Feel free to change them where you think neccessary.

Dan, the section on other useful information. If you want, I can copy the basic guide to Gaelic and info on Hillphones that I already have on other pages into this section :?:

Stephen

Those additions are good with me, I'm sure you know the area much better than I do so I'm happy for you to take the lead on that kind of thing.

For the guide to Gaelic and hillphone information I suggest you create new sections for them and copy and paste any work you've already done, no point re-inventing the wheel.

I've now saved the page as a Custom Object so we can make edits to it without clogging up the 'What's New' Section with an empty page. I've also PM'd David and Eric to see if they want to get involved with writing the page, hopefully they will. As soon as they reply we can properly decide on who writes what in the sub-area/range sections.

I'll say it again Clint, that's an ace piece of work! Perhaps you could add a summarised version of it to the Grampians Page.

Proterra

by Proterra » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:45 pm

Nanuls wrote:I'll say it again Clint, that's an ace piece of work! Perhaps you could add a summarised version of it to the Grampians Page.

Compared to what you did with Ben Nevis...

But, yeah, I suppose a excerpt would do quite nice on the big one.

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:20 pm

I've heard back from David and Eric. David's very keen to get on board and help out, and Eric's willing to help out too, but doesn't want to much work as he has limited time which is fair enough. He has a website with a lot of his photos on which he is willing to upload for the page, there are some really stunning ones there:

http://h.visentin.free.fr/munros/index.html

I've given them both admin rights to the page, and they'll let us know what they can do.

daveyboy

Eastern region:

by daveyboy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:22 pm

Hi there all,
Yes as Dan says I am very keen to add and help with the page.
My main area has to be the eastern section of this. I have most main summits done in the eastern area and have good photos to put in the page.
Also if you need any other pictures from around the Grampians I have planty from my travels when I was at work :D
Was it decided as I have only just joined in...
Is the eastern area going to be A9 across to the coastal reaches...?

This should be quite a task putting this page together but whilst I am out of work where better than to put my spare time. LOL
Cheers - David.

Boydie

Re: Eastern region:

by Boydie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:43 pm

daveyboy wrote:Hi there all,
Yes as Dan says I am very keen to add and help with the page.
My main area has to be the eastern section of this. I have most main summits done in the eastern area and have good photos to put in the page.
Also if you need any other pictures from around the Grampians I have planty from my travels when I was at work :D
Was it decided as I have only just joined in...
Is the eastern area going to be A9 across to the coastal reaches...?

This should be quite a task putting this page together but whilst I am out of work where better than to put my spare time. LOL
Cheers - David.

Yes, everything east of the A9 is in the eastern section. Just add your name onto the page next to the sections you want to cover.

Good to have you on board David. :D

Proterra

by Proterra » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:58 pm

Mount Keen and the East Glenshee Hills.

Lochnagar, Cairnwell or Angus Glens?

I'm much inclined to have East Glenshee go with Cairnwell, and Mount Keen with the Angus Glens, although it's often climbed from Deeside, which would warrant inclusion into the Lochnagar area. Same goes with East Glenshee, they're technically part of the Cairnwells, but just as often climbed from Glen Clova, as from the A93.

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:45 am

Proterra wrote:Mount Keen and the East Glenshee Hills.

Lochnagar, Cairnwell or Angus Glens?

I'm much inclined to have East Glenshee go with Cairnwell, and Mount Keen with the Angus Glens, although it's often climbed from Deeside, which would warrant inclusion into the Lochnagar area. Same goes with East Glenshee, they're technically part of the Cairnwells, but just as often climbed from Glen Clova, as from the A93.

Best talk to Stephen or David about that one, they know the area far better than I do.

This might be a good time to check in on how everyone's doing on their sections. Does anyone have any problems? Are there any bits and pieces that they need help on? Or does anyone just need an opinion on something?

I've got a few questions:

There are a number of sections without names next to. Is this because no one knows anything about those areas? I know a bit about some of them, but this is from an orienteer’s perspective rather than a hikers or climbers one.

Has anyone started work on the overview section yet? If not I'd like to volunteer to give it a shot.

With the regard to the wildlife and conservation sections, if anyone has any photos of local wildlife could you post them please? the section needs some beautifying.

I have photos of some of the species that can be seen in the Grampian Mountains which weren't taken in the Grampian Mountains - do you think it’s appropriate to post them on the page as examples?

I think that's it...

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:58 pm

BUMP!!

See above post please.

PreviousNext

Return to Europe