Scots Team

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Proterra

by Proterra » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:31 pm

Nanuls wrote:
Proterra wrote:Mount Keen and the East Glenshee Hills.

Lochnagar, Cairnwell or Angus Glens?

I'm much inclined to have East Glenshee go with Cairnwell, and Mount Keen with the Angus Glens, although it's often climbed from Deeside, which would warrant inclusion into the Lochnagar area. Same goes with East Glenshee, they're technically part of the Cairnwells, but just as often climbed from Glen Clova, as from the A93.

Best talk to Stephen or David about that one, they know the area far better than I do.

I'll just stick to the Lochnagar core. Stephen can include East Glenshee with the Cairnwells, since they're part of that range anyway.

This might be a good time to check in on how everyone's doing on their sections. Does anyone have any problems? Are there any bits and pieces that they need help on? Or does anyone just need an opinion on something?

I've got a few questions:

There are a number of sections without names next to. Is this because no one knows anything about those areas? I know a bit about some of them, but this is from an orienteer’s perspective rather than a hikers or climbers one.

My opinion about the sections on the "main Grampian page" would be that it wouldn't matter that much. It should just basically be a frame from where a user may click on the the respective range to get hillwalking info. No need for making the main page a three hour read. But that's just my opinion

Has anyone started work on the overview section yet? If not I'd like to volunteer to give it a shot.

Go for it.

With the regard to the wildlife and conservation sections, if anyone has any photos of local wildlife could you post them please? the section needs some beautifying.

Should have some photo's at home, will upload some when I'm back home
Also, might be useful to check out Stephen's galley, I can recall that he has some photo's of critters uploaded as well.

I have photos of some of the species that can be seen in the Grampian Mountains which weren't taken in the Grampian Mountains - do you think it’s appropriate to post them on the page as examples?

I think that's it...

I think it depends where. I'd say pics taken anywhere in Scotland should be fine, as long as there isn't anything better available, but one should watch out with pictures taken in areas which could be recognized as NOT THERE. For example, a Ptarmigan with Snowdon (don't know if they actually live there - never been to Wales) in the background would not be a good idea, because some folks might question the reliability of the page.

Cheers,
Clint.

Boydie

by Boydie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:35 pm

East Glenshee peaks in with the Cairnwells is fine, maybe change the name to just Glenshee if thats okay :?: :?: :?:

There are a few names missing from some sections. I omitted doing some as I wasn't sure what David and Eric were keen to do. I think if there is something there you feel happy doing then just go for it. I was just going to start on something (after I've done the ones I've got :roll: ) if it still had no name on it.

Dan, I'll attach some of my wildlife pictures onto the page today, although I'll need to chill it with those bloody deer pics :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Stephen

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:51 pm

Thanks for that, you sure do have a lot of deer photos. I'll be adding a few photos of my own soon.

When I was talking about posting animals from other areas, I wasn't intending on anything with a background, neither was I intending to post any pictures of species that are atypical of the area. I do have photos of animals which are common in the Grampian Mountains which were taken in Wales, they have no give-away backgrounds or anything, so as examples I think they work fine. Also David has some nice photos which were taken in the Southern Uplands which would compliment the page nicely. I'll do a bit of formatting and if you think I've over stepped the mark let me know and I'll remove them.

BTW no ptarmigans in Wales, but I do have photos of some from the Cairngorms.

Boydie

by Boydie » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:09 pm

Nanuls wrote:When I was talking about posting animals from other areas, I wasn't intending on anything with a background, neither was I intending to post any pictures of species that are atypical of the area. I do have photos of animals which are common in the Grampian Mountains which were taken in Wales, they have no give-away backgrounds or anything, so as examples I think they work fine. Also David has some nice photos which were taken in the Southern Uplands which would compliment the page nicely. I'll do a bit of formatting and if you think I've over stepped the mark let me know and I'll remove them.

Sounds good, I'm sure they will look the part. :)

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:57 pm

Hello all

The page is coming on nicely, good work everybody.

Stephen, could you do me a favour -

As you've probably seen I've been making a few maps for the page, and I'd like to make one for the sub areas which would link the page's different chapters together. On the link below there's a blank map, could you roughly draw the outlines of the areas on the map for me using Paint or something and then post it to the page, I could then use it as a base to create something interactive. No need to be too tidy or anything, I can do that. I'd do it myself only I think you've probably got a better idea of the boundaries than I do.

Blank Map

Cheers
Dan

Boydie

by Boydie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:02 pm

Nanuls wrote:Hello all

The page is coming on nicely, good work everybody.

Stephen, could you do me a favour -

As you've probably seen I've been making a few maps for the page, and I'd like to make one for the sub areas which would link the page's different chapters together. On the link below there's a blank map, could you roughly draw the outlines of the areas on the map for me using Paint or something and then post it to the page, I could then use it as a base to create something interactive. No need to be too tidy or anything, I can do that. I'd do it myself only I think you've probably got a better idea of the boundaries than I do.

Blank Map

Cheers
Dan

No problems Dan. I'll give it a blast.

Stephen

Boydie

by Boydie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:13 pm

Dan, I have added the updated picture to the page with a number index to each area. I think what I've done is roughly about right. I hope it helps.

Probably a good exercise as I had to add a couple of new areas, which are; Rannoch Moor and Loch Treig Hills. Is everyone okay with this :?:

I think we are definitely getting there guys. :D

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:24 pm

Boydie wrote:Dan, I have added the updated picture to the page with a number index to each area. I think what I've done is roughly about right. I hope it helps.

Probably a good exercise as I had to add a couple of new areas, which are; Rannoch Moor and Loch Treig Hills. Is everyone okay with this :?:

Cheers mate, didn't expect you to get it done so soon! I'll start work on it this week... might take some time to finish though, this is going to be a complicated one.

Clint, are you okay with these areas?

BTW unlucky on the football, I was backing you guys! (I have a strong dislike for Spurs)

Boydie

by Boydie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:40 pm

Nanuls wrote:
Boydie wrote:Dan, I have added the updated picture to the page with a number index to each area. I think what I've done is roughly about right. I hope it helps.

Cheers mate, didn't expect you to get it done so soon! I'll start work on it this week... might take some time to finish though, this is going to be a complicated one.

Clint, are you okay with these areas?

BTW unlucky on the football, I was backing you guys! (I have a strong dislike for Spurs)

The maps on the page are excellent and this new one sounds really complicated. I find those bloody tables difficult enough (cheers for the touch up on mine).

The thing that confuses me with Spurs (and I include Newcastle in this statement) is that they are classed as big teams, but haven't won squat shit in years. Surely you are not a big team then???

Cheers
Stephen

Proterra

by Proterra » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:08 pm

Dan and Stephen, I'm amazed. This is definitely not what I had in mind when I first thought about this page, simply because I didn't think anyone would have the time to pull that off. By the looks of it, SP is going to be a serious competitor to Cameron's and the SMT's books...

I'll be working on the G&C section this weekend, and about the new areas, of course I'm fine with it.

Cheers,
Clint.

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:43 pm

Boydie wrote:The maps on the page are excellent and this new one sounds really complicated. I find those bloody tables difficult enough (cheers for the touch up on mine).

The thing that confuses me with Spurs (and I include Newcastle in this statement) is that they are classed as big teams, but haven't won squat shit in years. Surely you are not a big team then???

Cheers
Stephen

Thanks, the maps are actually pretty easy to put together with a bit of know-how, the right tools and an imaginative use of raw data. The current maps just use HTML, but the next ones going to have a bit of CSS thrown in for good measure, that’s why it might take me some time.

While I was making the basemap I took a little extra time to extend it to cover the whole of Scotland, so if anyone needs a topographic map or contours with an interval of 100m let me know. Unfortunately Orkney and the Shetlands because the DTM I was using ends at the Pentalnd Firth.

As for the footy, I think if you get into the Premiership you’re immediately classed as a big team, even if you’re Newcastle.

Clint, I look forward to seeing your work.

Boydie

by Boydie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:49 pm

Hi Guys,

I've just noticed there's a slight change to the Cairngorms section and there is two names marked down for it instead of one, Clint and David. Does anyone know if this is intentional or has there been a wee bit of confusion :? I think originally it was your name that was there Clint.

Stephen

Proterra

by Proterra » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:54 pm

Boydie wrote:Hi Guys,

I've just noticed there's a slight change to the Cairngorms section and there is two names marked down for it instead of one, Clint and David. Does anyone know if this is intentional or has there been a wee bit of confusion :? I think originally it was your name that was there Clint.

Stephen

As far as I know that was the case. It doesn't matter, if David feels like adding something to the CG section which hasn't been said before, he should feel free to do so, But if he wants to substantially expand the section, he's probably better off making a nice wee area and range page for the Cairngorms and attach it here as a child (Like mentioned in the original discussion - the Grampians are just too damn big to go about every range in far detail)

Clint.

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:47 pm

Its just a bit of confusion, I asked David to write his name against the sections he was willing to write, he was under the impression that he had to write about everything east of the A9, so he wrote his name on the top of the section. He might add a bit to the Cairngorms, but will mostly be concentrating on the empty sections.

BTW is anyone writhing the Lochnagar section? I notice someones written a sentance there.

Proterra

by Proterra » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:05 am

Nanuls wrote:BTW is anyone writhing the Lochnagar section? I notice someones written a sentance there.

I was supposed to do that, but was a bit confused about the exact boundaries. (East Glenshee, Keen) If anyone wants to write about it they can go right ahead, otherwise I'll sort it along with G&C.

Clint.

PreviousNext

Return to Europe