sleeping set up...ul option?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
brichardsson

sleeping set up...ul option?

by brichardsson » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:42 am

i am currently in the market for a zero degree bag, and a buddy turned me on to this company:

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/enigma-elite/

they are an ultralight down convertible quilt company. i already have marmot 30 and 15 degree bags (the plasma series), and i am very happy with both of them. the only reason i am looking at this company is that they are so damn light, and are actually cheaper than the marmot bag. fwiw, i have checked out other bags as well, western mountaineering, feathered friends, et al, and this seems almost too good to be true.

the one thing i am leery of is that it doesn't have a traditional hood, but that could actually work for me because i move around a bit when i sleep so i actually wind up outside of the hood on my bags half the time anyway; for this reason i usually wear a balaclava or sherpa hat to sleep.

has anyone used this company, or something similar, and can they speak to the pros/cons in cold weather endeavors?
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

no avatar
paulzo

Re: sleeping set up...ul option?

by paulzo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:47 pm

pros and cons discussed here:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=71934

If you go quilt I suggest getting a down or Climashield balaclava. WAY warmer than any fleece or wool hat for sleeping

The following user would like to thank paulzo for this post
brichardsson

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:32 pm

I went through the quilt vs sleeping bag debate last year and opted for a sleeping bag because I tend to thrash about (actually I flip flop) when I sleep.

norco17

by norco17 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:09 am

The baffels look like they are sewn through. This may lead to cold spots.

Return to Gear