SPer Rick Kent Accident

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
ScottHanson

Re: SPer Rick Kent Accident

by ScottHanson » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:59 pm

Rick,
Sorry to hear about your foot injury, and wish you a speedy recovery. Glad you had a fellow climber with you for assistance.
Scott

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:03 pm

Nasty looking post-surgical pics. But at least after the swelling goes down and you (eventually) get back on your feet you can hide the scar under a pair of socks or long pants :)

(they couldn't remove the staples from my surgical incisions until three weeks post .. no shower until then .. :shock: )
Taaaake !

Michael Graupe

by Michael Graupe » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:09 pm

So sorry to hear about your accident, Rick, and wish you a fast recovery.

As a side note, is this Darija wearing flip-flops in the first photo? :shock:

fedak

by fedak » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:11 pm

> I can't believe he felt relatively no pain, with just Ibuprofen on board. Damn! When I fractured my talus it was excruciating.

Ankle injuries are a weird animal. My tri-mal caused almost no pain as well.

Edit: Since we're sharing pics: http://www.fedak.net/albums/BrokenLeg.html
Edit 2: Just noticed that there was a note from Rick on that page...
Last edited by fedak on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

Rick Kent

by Rick Kent » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:57 am

Yep, those are flip-flops (and yet I was the one who ended up getting injured).

As for the pain, when the rock crushed the ankle it hurt like hell for about 30 minutes. After about an hour (and after taking the ibuprofin) I had very little pain at all. During the heli extraction and trip to hospital in ambulance still no pain. I'm not sure if this is just some special function of the human body or just the nature of this kind of injury or what. I didn't even ask for any pain killers. At the hospital it started to gradually get more painful. Shortly after they showed me the first x-ray photo the pain became unbearable and I started to go into shock, pins and needles all over my body, arms too heavy to lift, face white. I think that's when they finally gave me morphine or something.

Post surgery the leg was in some pain but was still pretty numb for several days. Once the numbness wore off the real pain began and from then till now I've had quite a few unbearable days and even worse nights. Fortunately now after two weeks the constant swelling seems to be going down a bit and I'm finally starting to get a little relief. The Vicodin they gave me doesn't seem to work too well. Half the time it doesn't seem like it does anything at all. But anyway, I think the worst is behind me now. Still haven't had a good night's sleep yet but hopefully that won't last too much longer.

Sucks being on crutches. Some of the simplest things are so difficult. How the hell am I supposed to go to the grocery store. I'm getting real tired of having to keep the leg "above the level of the heart". Lying down so much makes me feel like crap.

The surgeon's report has a lot of negative sounding things in it. Guess there's nothing else to be done now except wait, heal, and see what happens.

Mike Cressman and Darija came over yesterday. Darija wanted to watch Touching the Void (severe leg injury). We also watched an episode of "I Shouldn't be Alive" about 2 guys in a slot canyon where one had a broken leg that resulted in amputation. Terms like "fracture blisters" and "compartment syndrome" took on new meaning. The scene and sound of the guy breaking his leg that is repeated over and over again seemed like some unusual form of torture.

-Rick

The following user would like to thank Rick Kent for this post
Cy Kaicener, John Duffield

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:54 pm

Rick Kent wrote:Yep, those are flip-flops (and yet I was the one who ended up getting injured).

She appears to be taking a handicap, which obviously wasn't enough. Next time she should probably go barefoot. And blindfolded.

:)

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:12 pm

Good on ya Rick. I was on oxycodone for 5 months -- stronger than vicodin, but more chance for addiction.

You've given new meaning to "Rick-rolled."

As for pain... when I was about 14, I was doing back flips off an diving board, into a neighbor's pool. At one point I decided it would be neat to try a 1.5 flip. Only the board was really stiff, so I aborted midway through the dive, and ended up hitting the board with my face. I was quite stunned, but managed to get out of the pool, at which point my brother said, "you are bleeding all over; go home." I scared the crap out of my mother. I felt little pain, even though my teeth had cut through the flesh under my lip. At the hospital, the doctor told me that facial injuries tended to be self-numbing, and proceeded to stitch me up with no anesthetic. I recall the thread pulling so hard that my whole head was lifted off the table, but I felt nothing... until about 3 hours later.

Daria

by Daria » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:34 am

Michael Graupe wrote: As a side note, is this Darija wearing flip-flops in the first photo? :shock:

.................lol

With such precise deciphering skills, is someone going to point out what underwear I was wearing, too? :)
I'm the top troll.

The following user would like to thank Daria for this post
John Duffield

no avatar
Edgewood

by Edgewood » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:40 am

. Shortly after they showed me the first x-ray photo the pain became unbearable and I started to go into shock, pins and needles all over my body, arms too heavy to lift, face white. I think that's when they finally gave me morphine or something.

-Rick[/quote]
Thats happened to me a couple of times. I got a rather large cut above my eye from my head going thru a window (working not drinking!). The doc wanted me to see what a clean slice it was so he held up a mirror for me to see. I had same reaction as you and almost passed out. Seems like you can not be so tough and in survival mode when you get to the hospital and let the emotions overtake you.

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:32 am

Daria wrote:With such precise deciphering skills, is someone going to point out what underwear I was wearing, too? :)

Only Category 2 girlz bother with underwear. For the truly hardcore, it just gets in the way.

Rick, I almost peed laughing at your comment in the ambulance photo, "Maybe it's only a sprain?"

Post-op photos look great, hang in there. :)

The following user would like to thank Princess Buttercup for this post
John Duffield

Daria

by Daria » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:39 am

MooseTracks wrote:
Daria wrote:With such precise deciphering skills, is someone going to point out what underwear I was wearing, too? :)

Only Category 2 girlz bother with underwear. For the truly hardcore, it just gets in the way.

Rick, I almost peed laughing at your comment in the ambulance photo, "Maybe it's only a sprain?"

Post-op photos look great, hang in there. :)

Nah, undies are a requirement. Its the bra that goes out the window-they are so damn uncomfortable. I refuse to wear one and probably haven't in like 5 years. Yeehaw

Do I need to start a separate summitpost thread on the virtues of bras-less habits and lifestyle? I can wreak considerable havoc, don't tempt me! lol!
I'm the top troll.

John Duffield

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:44 am

I don't wear a bra either. I'm guessing black boxer shorts with pictures of snowmen and santas.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:03 am

Daria wrote:Do I need to start a separate summitpost thread on the virtues of bras-less habits and lifestyle?

By the time you're my age, the downside will be far more apparent. :D

The following user would like to thank Bob Burd for this post
PellucidWombat

Daria

by Daria » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:41 am

Bob Burd wrote:
Daria wrote:Do I need to start a separate summitpost thread on the virtues of bras-less habits and lifestyle?

By the time you're my age, the downside will be far more apparent. :D

Below are the following reasons for why that is something I won't have to be worried about, "Bob-a-loo":

1. I self proclaim to intimidate men, since I'm category 2
2. I'm Bob Burd-proclaimed, the "Charles Manson" of peak bagging
3. I have black toenails and skip showers when I can get away with it
4. I've been shunned by 99.999% of the human population just for being blonde and reinventing the concept of the dayhike into something that consists of 26.5 consecutive hours, and must now resort to paranormal communications and constructing hypothetical affiliations with aliens.
5. I refuse to get romantically involved with men who are not nearly equivalent in appearance and body to Daniel Craig.
6. Sometimes, I dress up in monochrome colors, just because I feel the need to do so and I need to compete with Moose Woman. http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1770/005ge.jpg
7. I'm pretty crazy.

These are just a few of the reasons for why I am doomed to be single for the rest of my life, my prospects with the male race have been added up and the results are in! They equal zero! :)
Last edited by Daria on Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the top troll.

John Duffield

PreviousNext

Return to California