Suggestions of peaks to climb (from San Francisco)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
tarushbali

Suggestions of peaks to climb (from San Francisco)

by tarushbali » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:59 pm

Hi

I was wondering if you guys had some suggestions for peaks to climb during this time of the year. Preferably as a weekend trip from San Francisco.

I wanted to climb Mt Langley but it seems like a long drive for a weekend trip.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

395guy

Re: Suggestions of peaks to climb (from San Francisco)

by 395guy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:14 pm

Just curious, why Langley? Are you looking for a 14er? Or just a scenic peak to bag? That might help with suggestions.

Fwiw, my son & I climbed Langley in July from Horseshoe Meadows. It's about a 45min drive to the campground/TH from Lone Pine, but you get to camp at 10,000' and acclimate while you sleep.

The climb is relatively straightforward. My GPS measured it to be 10.25 miles from TH to summit, so 20.5 miles round trip. The first 6-7 miles are rather flat and rolling elevation gain until you get past the last lake and start up Old Army Pass. The last half mile to the summit is very steep as you follow the large cairns (~25-30% grade based on the data from my GPS). It's a nice hike, CA's southernmost 14er.

After Langley, we drove to the Bay area. We took the longer, scenic route by going north on 395 past Yosemite until we took 108 west through the mtns. That's quite a road... narrow, steep, but very scenic. Signs warn semi's not take the route, and sure 'nough, we came across a tractor trailer stuck on a steep S-curve with a big tow-truck trying to get it out.

Enjoy!

no avatar
tarushbali

by tarushbali » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:32 am

Hi 395guy

I'm just looking for a peak that's got a scenic route/summit and accessible at this time of the year. Let me know if you have other suggestions!

- Tarush

colinr

by colinr » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:35 pm

Unless you were hoping to climb ice/snow, accessibility will not likely be an issue until sometime in November. Wildfire and smoke conditions may be worth checking before heading out. The SPS list is a decent starting point for scenic hikes/scrambles if you are not sure where to begin your explorations of the Sierra. Generally, sections 19-24 are the shortest and most scenic drives from San Francisco. Sections 22&23 probably contain the biggest bang for your buck given drive times, red tape/hassles, and hike distances. Sections 20&21 are worth looking into if you are willing to deal with Yosemite NP logistics (crowds, regulations, fees):

http://sierrapeaks.org/SPSPkXlsht.htm

Leavitt Peak is nice from HWY 108 with other Sonora Pass area peaks nearby if looking to hike more. Round Top is nice from HWY 88 with many other Carson Pass and Tahoe area peaks nearby if wanting more. North, Conness (research routes), and Dana are great from Tioga Pass/Saddlebag Lake area. Excelsior has nice views from Virginia Lakes or from Saddlebag.

You don't sound suckered into the higher is better game. 8)
Last edited by colinr on Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:08 pm

SeanReedy wrote:Leavitt Peak is nice from HWY 108 with other Sonora Pass area peaks nearby if looking to hike more. Round Top is nice from HWY 88 with many other Carson Pass and Tahoe area peaks nearby if wanting more. North, Conness (research routes), and Dana are great from Tioga Pass/Saddlebag Lake area.

Ditto Sean
The Carson Pass and Tahoe area (Desolation) were going to be my suggestions as well. The drive from SF is short and the ease to get to the trailheads make it a plus. Conness and North Peak from Saddlebag is beautiful and they're short hikes with tremendous views. Dana is an easy up as well, and again great views and then your drive back to SF isn't as long. You'll get more out of your weekend as your driving less.

no avatar
fogey

by fogey » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:36 pm

Pyramid Peak is the best peak to climb in Desolation. The most straightforward coming from the Bay Area is Ralston, which has a trail to the top with a trailhead west of Echo Summit (shortens the drive). Mt. Tallac is on the east edge of Desolation Wilderness spectacularly close to Lake Tahoe and also has trails to the top. Freel Peak south of Lake Tahoe (not in Desolation) is the highest peak in the Tahoe Basin.

Round Top is technically class 3 to the true summit if that matters to you. Highland Peak near Ebbets Pass is worth considering.

The northern Yosemite peaks, Conness in particular, have more of the alpine feeling which you can get from the high peaks farther south in the Sierra.

These peaks and the other ones named in the two preceding posts can be hiked in a day, which is probably the way to start Sierra peak bagging. If or when you want to camp overnight, the possibilities are an order of magnitude (or two) more numerous.

Deb

by Deb » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:52 am

Something to consider....the 120 is open, it's closed, it's open, it's closed......due to Walker Fire. If coming to the beautiful smokey eastside, don't count on using the 120 for the next few days.

Return to California