Outdoor shops in San Francisco

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Day Hiker

Re: Outdoor shops in San Francisco

by Day Hiker » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:07 am

Lolli wrote:Is there an outdoor shop in San Francisco? I found REI on the net, but they only sell the sleeping bag I want online.

You can order it online and have it shipped to the REI store for free. It usually takes less than two weeks, so I think that's before your trip, but I forgot when you are going.

dyusem

Re: Outdoor shops in San Francisco

by dyusem » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:52 pm

There is Any Mountain http://anymountain.net/index.cfm however I am very unsure if they have the bag you desire.

I think that your best bet is ordering through REI and requesting expedited (if that is possible) delivery to a store.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:24 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Check the Marmot store Lolli. Its 15 minutes from down town San Fran if the traffic is moving. You could even take the subway (BART).

DMT

If you know what you want, REI is good, and as others have noted you can have online orders shipped to a store at no charge to you. They have a ridiculously generous return policy (some people say REI = "return everything inside"). The staff aren't always expert in what they sell however, and the focus of the store seems to have shifted to people who want to buy "active wear" for looking cool around town. By contrast, Marmot's a great specialty shop staffed by people who actually climb and ski.

If you plan to go to Marmot you can and should definitely take BART. It's less than 5 minutes walk from the Ashby station, whereas the drive across the bridge from SF-Oakland and back is one of the least pleasant traffic experiences in the Bay Area.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:43 pm

The bridge part of the Bay Bridge is pretty nice as DMT says - it's the traffic backup getting to and from it that I don't like. Unless of course you have lots of time and like to observe interesting specimens of Bay Area fauna...

If REI carries a brand (like Marmot) but doesn't have a specific model in stock they are usually able to special order it for you.

Marmot has a website but it never seems to reflect the gear they actually have in stock:

www.marmotmountain.com

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:01 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:No right now you can COUNT on a back up on the Bay Bridge. There is a zig zag 20 mph detour for the new span work and it has 'normal' traffic patterns all jacked up.

Scenery wise lolli, Golden Gate is the money shot. WALK OVER IT!!!111 You can drive over it going out of the city, park in a parking lot on the right side just on the other side, first exit, then do the amazing walk. Dress warmly, take a jacket even if its warm in the city (which it won't be)

DMT

+1. If you're up for a 10 mile hike, a beautiful route is to go to the Ferry Building across from the BART/Muni Embarcadero station in SF, then walk North along the Embarcadero, West through Ft. Mason and Crissy Fields, up and over the Golden Gate Bridge, down into Sausalito, and then take the ferry back to San Francisco. There are lots of places to stop, rest, take photos, grab lunch and/or coffee or other beverages, etc. I used to run this route pretty often.

rlshattuck

BART to Marmot

by rlshattuck » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:03 pm

if you don't know your way around, taking BART to Marmot is very easy from downtown san francisco.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sour ... erk&aqi=g2

As long as you will be in SF, and perhaps wandering around the Golden Gate, you might check out SPORTS BASEMENT, located in the PRESIDIO, on Crissy Field. Lots of good deals on clothing and gear.

You might even try getting in a little time in at PLANET GRANITE, also right there in the presidio and not a bad view.

if you walk across the golden gate, you can continue on, down to sausalito and take the ferry back across the bridge.

if you need a tour guide . . . let me know . . .

rlshattuck

and do you like seals?

by rlshattuck » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:13 pm

if you're going to be right there, on the bridge, in a car, you ought to go over into the headlands (instead of driving down into the tourist trap that is sausalito) get the views of the golden gate and then go down and visit the MARINE MAMMAL CENTER.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:21 pm

Lolli wrote:
JHH60 wrote:If REI carries a brand (like Marmot) but doesn't have a specific model in stock they are usually able to special order it for you.

Marmot has a website but it never seems to reflect the gear they actually have in stock:

www.marmotmountain.com

wasn't that the store?

I'll be there in less than a week, I think special orders are too late

It's a bit confusing - I think Marmot Mountain Works (the store) used to be connected with Marmot (the gear brand) but aren't any more. They do carry a lot of Marmot gear but the website claims that they aren't affiliated. If someone knows the histroy I'd be interested in hearing...

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:24 pm

Lolli wrote:
Dingus Milktoast wrote:Dress warmly, take a jacket even if its warm in the city (which it won't be)

DMT

It won't be warm?????

It won't be warm by California standards. Weather this week is predicted to range from a high in the 60s-70s and low in the 50s. San Francisco weather is strongly affected by its proximity to the ocean, and never gets very warm or very cold. Plan on wearing a light jacket.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:41 pm

Those temps are for the city of SF. If you go inland it will be a lot warmer. High temps in Yosemite Valley this week are supposed to be up near 35C, for example (lows around 10C).

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:51 pm

Lolli wrote:Walking/subway is the best way to get around SF, isn't it?

Mostly true, if you don't mind some hills. Some neighborhoods (e.g., Richmond, Presidio, Russian Hill) are a long walk from the Muni subway or BART and require a bus ride to get there. And Muni doesn't run much past midnight (though buses do).

dyusem

by dyusem » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:20 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:
Lolli wrote:
Dingus Milktoast wrote:Dress warmly, take a jacket even if its warm in the city (which it won't be)

DMT

It won't be warm?????

Mark Twain - "The coldest winter I ever experienced was summer in San Francisco."

Now Oct is about the best month for San Fran fog-wise. Inland where I live, around Sacramento, in summer its common to have a 30 degree temp difference inside 80 miles. It can be 90 here and 60 there and often that is exactly the case.

Walking across the Golden Gate in 70 degree weather with no wind is a rare occruance indeed.

DMT

That profound statement is often (incorrectly) attributed to Mr. Clemens:

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/twain.asp

The 7 day SF forecast is calling for a wind event mid-next week with temps in the 70F range during the day.

A great time to be on the GG Bridge this time of year is during the golden hour which oftentimes is fog free and provides a great view of the City and the setting sun over Pacific and Marin Headlands.

Diggler

by Diggler » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:26 pm

Getting around San Fran can easily be done by a combination of walking, cable cars (expensive but you have to take at least one ride while you're here), BART (the subway around here- bart.gov), Muni (the bus line- EVERYONE who has put any time in on the Muni has a story to tell...), & street cars.

Neighborhoods to check out:
* The Mission (Mexican/Latin American quarter)- great authentic Mexican food, the best murals in the City, & a fun vibe- stick to Valencia St (being directly on Mission St @ night not advisable; it can be seedy)
* SOMA (South of Market)- some good museums here (SFMoMA, etc.); some places here are also sketch at night, so watch it
* Financial District- not too much that's greatly impressive, but make sure to stop by the Carnelian Room in the Bank of America building for some of the best views of the City
* North Beach- no beach here now (although there used to be), but good Italian food & interesting (the ostensible Italian quarter, also birthplace of the Beat movement)
* China Town
* The Castro- perhaps nothing fulfills people's stereotypes about SF more... :)
* Haight-Ashbury- hippy central in the 60s, still a decent amount there now too (& dirtbag kids panhandling)

Other things to check out:
* Baker Beach- great views of the Golden Gate
* The Presidio
* Twin Peaks- some exceptional views of the City
* Painted Sisters- postcard view, with some fine examples of San Fran's famous Victorian architecture front & centre
* Golden Gate Park- the W coast's answer to Central Park
* the Golden Gate (duh)
* Fisherman's Wharf- a tourist trap, but you still gotta see it- where the fishermen come in with their catches

Some museums worth checking out: SFMoMA, Palace of the Legion of Honor, Asian Art Museum

Not too far from SF:
* Mt. Tamalpais- beautiful area, wonderful hikes (Steep Ravine & Matt Davis trails make a really nice loop)- stop by Stinson Beach while you're there & have some seafood. Tennessee Beach is a great short hike close to there too that offers beautiful views of the ocean, the Marin Headlands, & even the tips of SF skyscrapers & GG bridge too from the right vantage points
* Pt. Reyes- one of the greater Bay Area's natural gems- stunning
* Mt. Diablo- you can get a taste of what things are like somewhat inland (think hilly oak environs, not found in SF (similar to the environment of the western Sierra- oak-y grasslands). Some very nice hikes from Clayton on the N side, & exceptional views.

Would also highly recommend driving N for a few days- Mendocino, Fort Bragg, Eureka, Arcata, Humboldt County, Avenue of the Giants, Redwood National Park, etc.

Will try to rack my brain for other ideas...

Diggler

by Diggler » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:25 am

Lolli wrote:"dirtbag kids panhandling" - what's that?

Kids hanging out with their dogs on Haight that feel like they are entitled to your money because they're too lazy to get a job...

Pt. Reyes is definitely a must- Palomarin to Wildcat Beach, Tomales Pt., & Arch Rock from Bear Valley visitor center are all excellent hikes. Don't forget to just drive to the lighthouse too. Bring a jacket too- it's the windiest place on the W Coast.

Would totally join you for a beer or 10 on Sat night, but I'm planning to be on the side of a wall. Have fun- there are plenty of places to imbibe on the weekend :) You could also see what's playing at the Fillmore Auditorium (or Great American Music Hall or Bill Graham, Independent, ...), one of the City's storied venues.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:04 am

Note that if they walk up to you on Haight and say "green bud" they aren't offering to be your comrade in environmental awareness.

In addition to all of Diggler's recommendations, another nice thing to do is to drive south from San Francisco along the coast on Hwy 1 to Santa Cruz (about 1.5 hrs), or keep going through Carmel to Big Sur (about 2.5 hrs). The coast down by Big Sur is famously beautiful and has attracted bohemians, poets, and artists for generations (Jack Kerouac, Henry Miller, ...). It as lodgings ranging from funky hotels (Deetjens) to lavish spas (Ventana, Post Ranch Inn).

Pt. Lobos State Reserve is a must-visit park in Carmel on the way to Big Sur which has been photographed by people like Ansel Adams and Edward Weston:

Next

Return to California