Visiting California in October

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
JHH60

by JHH60 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:22 pm

I just looked up the hostels on the map. The Ellis St. hostel is very close to Market st. which is the core of the Muni Light Rail, and also a few blocks from Van Ness which is one of the main bus corridors, and from Union Sq. which is the main shopping district in SF. It's also close to the opera and symphony if you like that kind of thing. It's also a reasonable walk to SOMA (Modern Art museum, trendy restaurants, night clubs) Castro, Chinatown, Hayes Valley, and Lower Haight, which are all cool neighborhoods. The immediate neighborhood off Ellis can get a little sketchy if you go the wrong way - e.g., you're on the edge of the Tenderloin which is not the best place for a single woman on her own, but if you've got good city instincts it should be OK. The hostel in the Presidio is going to be in a very beautiful park-like location, though is not as close to downtown stuff.

I'd offer to play SF tourguide as I lived in an apartment in the city for most of the last 15 years, but just bought a house about 20 mi south for family reasons. I could be up for climbing or hiking or just drinking some beer with you and other SPers on weekends, however.

+1 for Luciano's suggestion of going to SF, touring the coast, and then setting up basecamp on the East Side of the Sierra. Bishop has lots to do for climbers and hikers. Mammoth also has a lot of options and - because it is a ski resort in the winter - there are a lot of condos available for weekly rental, often for less than you can stay in a motel, especially if you get a few friends together.

rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:26 pm

Lolli wrote:Remember though, I'm an old, stooped and wrinkled lady with a non-existing fitness shape... choose place after that.

Honestly, I'm slow as h3ll.

And I'm a cripple .. what's your point ? :lol:

We are all at different places in our lives .. sometimes all you can ask for is to have a nice day outdoors.

Actually, it's been ages since I've been to Pinnacles .. hey Lisa, mind if I tag along with you and Lolli ?? :D

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:26 pm

Lolli wrote:Martha, I will check out flights. Where am I bound? Denver?

I love cats. I have 3 and a half. Dogs are fine too, we have that too. And snakes. And fish. And guineapigs. Whatever.
You decide - if you want to come to California and maybe meet others too, or I come.

Yes, Denver.

Perhaps we can do both - we'll see how your schedule works out. I can always get to CA to see those jokers another time. :wink: If you find your itinerary filling up with so many things to do in CA that you'd prefer to stay there I'll make the trip. This is your vacation and you must plan to do everything you want to!

We may have some snow in the high country (above 4000m) and the aspen trees will be turning their hues of orange and yellow. Colorado is quite rustic in a way I've not seen elsewhere - probably because the mountains are so extreme and weather conditions so changeable.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:28 pm

Oh, and yes, should you need a place to stay, we have some room as well but I'm in Socal :)

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:54 pm

Lolli wrote:
MarthaP wrote:Perhaps we can do both - we'll see how your schedule works out. I can always get to CA to see those jokers another time. :wink: If you find your itinerary filling up with so many things to do in CA that you'd prefer to stay there I'll make the trip. This is your vacation and you must plan to do everything you want to!

Sounds good. I haven't been to Colorado, so it's a seducing thought, to make it there. But with all these suggestions, I think I must make some kind of a rough layout of the time.

I agree. A month in CA will go by very quickly - there is so much to do! I lived there for over 2 decades so I can easily help show you around. All the suggestions made so far have been excellent.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Lolli wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:Oh, and yes, should you need a place to stay, we have some room as well but I'm in Socal :)

I see it's south of Los Angeles. I thank you for the offer, but I don't think I'll end up so far south. One never knows though.

Ha yes, in beautiful Orange County :D

TheOrglingLlama

by TheOrglingLlama » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:22 pm

May I also suggest doing some Llama Trekking while you are here -

:mrgreen:

Diggler

by Diggler » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:33 pm

You can stay at my place for 2 or 3 nights if you want. I live in SF. Can give good recommendations for what to do around here too.

lisae

by lisae » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:34 pm

rhyang wrote:
Lolli wrote:Remember though, I'm an old, stooped and wrinkled lady with a non-existing fitness shape... choose place after that.

Honestly, I'm slow as h3ll.

And I'm a cripple .. what's your point ? :lol:

We are all at different places in our lives .. sometimes all you can ask for is to have a nice day outdoors.

Actually, it's been ages since I've been to Pinnacles .. hey Lisa, mind if I tag along with you and Lolli ?? :D

Of course, I was going to ask if I could tag along with you two. :)

Lolli, I am slow too .

Dragger

by Dragger » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:20 am

Lolli, your trip to California would definitely not be complete without a visit to the DOA headquarters! Lisa, it'd be be great to meet you too. How about you guys and Rob come up for a hike/dinner/movie?

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:05 am

Dragger wrote:Lolli, your trip to California would definitely not be complete without a visit to the DOA headquarters! Lisa, it'd be be great to meet you too. How about you guys and Rob come up for a hike/dinner/movie?

And some of us other folks who haven't had the pleasure of a DOA gathering. Did someone say party?

And Lolli, we have extra rooms and beds in San Jose if you like, for as long as you like. Not SF, but closer to the High Sierra anyway.

Also, October may be rather warm in Death Valley. But it's a wonderful time for the Sierra.

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:06 am

Dragger wrote:Lolli, your trip to California would definitely not be complete without a visit to the DOA headquarters! Lisa, it'd be be great to meet you too. How about you guys and Rob come up for a hike/dinner/movie?

Highly recommended :)

btw Dragger & HJMC's place is near a very nice crag (Cosumnes River Gorge), which has beautiful granite and an easy approach. That time of year it should be just about perfect.

Another plus for me is the nearby llama ranch .. :mrgreen:

lisae

by lisae » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:28 am

rhyang wrote:

Highly recommended :)

btw Dragger & HJMC's place is near a very nice crag (Cosumnes River Gorge), which has beautiful granite and an easy approach. That time of year it should be just about perfect.

Another plus for me is the nearby llama ranch .. :mrgreen:

I'd love to meet you guys! And I really enjoy going to Consumnes! I've never been there - got rained out the last time I planned a trip to the area.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:39 am

If your trip is in the very beginning of October, you might want to check out the Aspens in the Eastern Sierra.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:56 am

SP gathering! w00t w00t! We'll declare a Federal celebration - LolliDay!

PreviousNext

Return to California