Pine Cone Dome - Stone Age (5.5)

Pine Cone Dome - Stone Age (5.5)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.90746°N / 105.46149°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.5 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Stone Age is a good moderate 2-pitch route located near the center of the Pine Cone Dome. It is just to the left of another good climb called Armaj Das (5.5).


Stone Age (5.5)Stone Age (5.5) Pine Cone Dome

Approach / Location

Pine Cone Dome is located at the far end of the Canyon, on the right side of the road. Roadside parking with a 2 minute approach. Stone Age is located just left of center on Pine Cone Dome. Look for a deep crack that leads to a prominent right-facing dihedral with a tree on the right side of a ledge. There's a large flake just below the tree ledge.

Route Description

Pitch 1: Start up the deep crack using good face holds. There's a chimney section that leads to the dihedral. Continue up the dihedral to a large ledge with a pine tree with a rappel anchor.

Pitch 2: Straight up from the ledge is a smooth seam that leads to the top. From the belay, angle right and climb over some slabby terrain. Immediately above the head wall, the climbing eases to low 5th class. Continue to a small tree and belay.

Photos from Along the Route:

Stone Age (5.5)Erik Belaying Under P1
Stone Age (5.5)Cleaning Pitch 1
Stone Age (5.5)Final Scramble on P2


Views from the Dome:

Elevenmile Canyon From Pine Cone DomeEast Towards Turret Dome
Elevenmile Canyon from Pine Cone DomeAcross the South Platte


Descent

Either walk of of the top of the dome to your right as you approach the anchor tree, or rap back to the ledge at the top of P1, and then rap one more time to the ground.

Essential Gear

Standard rack with cams to a #3 Camalot. A couple of long slings will come in handy as well. Anchor material for the top of pitch 1 (bolted), and pitch 2 (tree).

External Links

Mountainproject.com: Stone Age (5.5)

Google Maps Location: Pine Cone Dome

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.