Point 11,040' - Duck Pass

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.56273°N / 118.95946°W
Additional Information County: Mono, Fresno
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 11040 ft / 3365 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

South from Skelton  Lake
Point 11,040 from Skelton Lake


Point 11,040 is the highest point along Duck Pass, a half-mile long saddle between Mammoth Crest and the parallel ridge to the east. It is a consolation prize for those who cannot make it up any one of the many summits in the vicinity of Duck Pass.

Not a prominent mountain itself, it commands attention from the lakes below, in particular Skelton Lake, where it appears as a massive rock tower due to the relief from its north face.

It deserves its own page because it is a striking feature and because it is a worthy destination for intermediate hikers not wanting to venture to a major peak from Duck Pass. The views are tremendous, overlooking the lakes below and the mountains on the adjacent ridges.

View northwest looking down from Point 11040
View northwest looking down from Point 11040

Mammoth Crest from Point 11,040
Mammoth Crest from Point 11,040

As with this entire area, hiking without significant snow is typically only an option during summer months.

Getting There

From the junction of Highway 395 at Mammoth Lakes take 203 West into Mammoth Lakes. If coming from the north, you can take the scenic loop. Once in town, continue west on Lake Mary Road. Before you reach Lake Mary, take the road to the Coldwater Campground that runs along the east side of the lake. The road ends at the trailhead parking for Duck Pass. Make sure to follow signs for Duck Pass, and not Emerald Lake.

Route

Take the Duck Pass Trail 3.5 miles to Duck Pass. From here there are many options for hiking and climbing nearby peaks. However, if just wanting an easy day, Point 11,040 is less than ½ mile off the trail. Just take a left (heading east) from the trail and you will run into the back side of Point 11,040. It is a walk-up.

Point 11,040' and Herlihy Peak from near Duck Pass
Point 11,040' and Herlihy Peak 11,785' from near Duck Pass

If wanting more adventure, head up the peak from off the Duck Pass Trail once you cross the stream between Barney Lake and Red Lake. This will cut off more than ½ mile on the ascent. It is a Class 2/3 scramble to the summit, although there are Class 4 options. Rock may be loose via this route, so choose the route carefully.

Red Tape

There are no permits are required for a day hike of this peak.

External Links

Peakbagger - Point 11,040

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mammoth Lakes BasinMountains & Rocks