Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.68470°N / 119.06528°W
Additional Information County: Mono
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10242 ft / 3122 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
RItter Range from San Joaquin Ridge
Ritter Range from San Joaquin Ridge
Minaret Summit is a popular drive up lookout point on the way to Devils Postpile National Monument. San Joaquin Ridge is a mostly barren rolling ridge than runs between Minaret Summit and San Joaquin Mountain northwest of Mammoth Lakes. This easy walk up (or drive up) hike with a dirt road going all the way to the top can be done in a few hours and has outstanding views of the whole Ritter Range to the west and the Mammoth Lakes Sierra to the south.



The ridge is also a skiing and mountain bike area.
The portion of the ridge featured on this page is the 10,242' high point just south of Deadman Pass.

Getting There

 
San Joaquin Ridge south  to Mammoth Mtn.
Road to the top
From the junction with Hwy. 395 take Hwy. 203 3.8 miles into downtown Mammoth Lakes. Turn left on the road to Minaret Summit (Hwy. 203) and go 5.3 miles. Turn left into the parking area (9,200'). Hike the main road going north 2.3 miles to the highpoint.

Red Tape

 
The Minarets from San Joaquin Ridge
The Minarets from San Joaquin Ridge
This is a simple dayhike and no permits are required.

Camping

 
Ritter Range panorama from San Joaquin Ridge
Ritter Range panorama
The nearest campgrounds are further down Hwy. 203 on the way to Devil's Postpile.
Agnew Meadows: (8,300' el.) Go 2.75 miles past Minaret Summit on Hwy. 203 to the hairpin turn going left. Take the road at the hairpin northwest .6 miles to the campground.
Agnew Meadows group campground: Go .4 miles further beyond Agnew Meadows campground on the same road.
Soda Springs campground: (7,700' el.) Go 2.3 miles past the hairpin turn further down 203 and turn left on a dirt road and go .3 miles.
There are several more campgrounds in Pumice Flat (7,600' el.) .5 miles on the right past the turn to Soda Springs campground as well as the Minaret Falls campground (7,600' el.) and another campground (7,600') at Soda Springs further along in Pumice Flat at the end of Hwy. 203 right before Devils Postpile.

Weather forecast for Mammoth Lakes

 
Mt. Ritter and Banner Peak from San Joaquin Ridge
Mt. Ritter and Banner Peak
For the current weather and 5 day forecast click here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Noondueler

Noondueler - Jul 17, 2010 12:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Not the Sherwins

Thanks Clydascope.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mammoth Lakes BasinMountains & Rocks