Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.01110°N / 105.5172°W
Additional Information County: Park
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10538 ft / 3212 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Familiar FriendFamiliar Friend: Pikes Peak from Pulver Mountain

From many angles, Pulver Mountain appears to simply be a big, green and rather uninteresting hump. Pulver Mountain holds a secret, however, and that secret is a rocky, open summit perch with southwest views wide open to the wind and the sky. This peak has no official trail to its summit (though a faint foot path from FS 706 is becoming increasingly defined). Few people outside of the peak hunter community and folks with property in the area bother to seek this summit. The result is a quiet peak with plenty of solitude, serving up close-up views of nearby Stoll Mountain and Elevenmile Reservoir, plus more distant views of the Hayman Burn, Pikes Peak and even the Sawatch Mountains.

So pack a lunch, grab a dog and head up hill. Plan to spend plenty of time on the summit outcrop, soaking up sunshine, leafing through the summit register, maybe even kicking back and taking a nap.

Rank: 2021st highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 318 feet
USGS Quad: Glentivar
Planning Map: There is no Trails Illustrated Map for this area; you will need a custom trail map for this mountain

Rank & Prominence: Lists of John

Getting There

Summit views toward Stoll MountainSummit views toward Stoll Mountain
Open summit outcropOpen summit outcrop


Wilkerson Pass is roughly 1 hour (or 50 miles) west of Colorado Springs, Colorado. Pulver Mountain sits to the southeast of Wilkerson Pass and is easy to access from US Hwy 24. Most visitors to this peak will access the summit from County Road 90 south of Hwy 24.

Stimply kicking back on the summit of Pulver Mountain.


Stimpy on summit (a)
Stimpy on summit (b)
Stimpy on summit (c)

Red Tape

Distant Sawatch ViewsDistant Sawatch Views
Summit registerSummit register


The summit of Pulver Mountain and a vast majority of the entire mountain reside within the Pike National Forest. However, there is a lot of private property, specifically residences, to the east and northeast of the peak. Forest Roads and public land provide all the access you need to reach this summit. Please respect private property, do not use private drives, do not park on private land, watch your vehicle speed through residential areas and be friendly to any locals you may encounter.

Camping

Pilot Peak from Pulver MountainPilot Peak from Pulver Mountain
Northeast from SummitNortheast from Summit


The National Forest Service has a large selection of campgrounds in and around the Lake George area.




Campground NameElevationSitesNightly RateReservations?Notes
Blue Mountain8,200 ft.21$12YesLess than 3 miles as the crow flies from the summit of Blue Mountain near Lake George.
Spruce Grove8,600 ft.27$12NoLet the gurgling Tarryall Creek sing you to sleep.
Twin Eagles8,600 ft.9$8NoMust haul or purify drinking water.
Happy Meadows7,900 ft.8$12NoSituated along the South Platte River.
Round Mountain8,500 ft.16$12YesDrinking water, vault toilet and trash pickup.
Springer Gulch8,300 ft.15$12YesSituated within the Elevenmile Canyon; water, tables, fire grates.
Riverside8,000 ft.19$12YesSituated within Elevenmile Canyon; large grassy meadow with little shade.

Weather & Seasons



In the summer, the area surrounding this peak may get a little hot and dusty, but is still unlikely to be terribly crowded. Fall will bring cooler temperatures and more slender crowds, plus the added bonus of bright golden aspen. This peak would be a delightful winter or spring snowshoe, though the roundtrip distance and overall effort would increase, and finding a safe place to park your vehicle may be a bit more of a challenge in snowseason.


Happy PuppyReady to roll home

External Links and Trip Reports

Trip Report by SP Member Brian Kalet: https://sites.google.com/site/kaletbrian/stoll-mountain

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Puma HillsMountains & Rocks