Reimers Ranch North Shore

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 30.37613°N / 98.1181°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Sport Climbing, Toprope, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Spider at North Shore
Spider at North Shore
Most of Texas was once beneath a sea. Many would argue it still should be, but the reality is that today, it is mostly well above the ocean and there is a lot of exposed limestone. Much of it is absolute garbage or on privately owned land, but there are places where the rock is good and the public is welcome, albeit usually at a price. And so we have Reimers.
 
Officially called Milton Reimers Ranch Park, the park is known to most climbers simply as Reimers. According to what I have read, there was a time that Milton and Joy Reimers welcomed visitors, often in person, and charged a nominal fee. At some point, they sold the land to Travis County, which added to the protected area through a purchase from another private landowner. Public land is pretty scarce in Texas, large as the state is, so despite the money-grubbing policies of Travis County (see Red Tape), it's still nice to have a place like Reimers.
 
When you mention going to climb at Reimers, someone might ask whether you mean Old Reimers, North Shore, or some other moniker. Although Old and North Shore are in the same park, because about a couple miles separate them, climbers consider the two to be entirely separate areas. This page covers the northern section.
 
Trivia bit: the land that is today called "North Shore" was not part of Milton and Joy Reimers' property. It was privately owned by someone else, and the author of the Austin area's climbing guidebook was key in purchasing the land and then seeing through the process of the county buying the land and adding it to the existing park.
 
Consequently, the routes at North Shore were developed more recently than most of those at "Old Reimers" were, and the rock is thus sharper and stickier, and it's way sharper than most of the rock in the Barton Creek Greenbelt. Also, with a few notable exceptions, North Shore does not seem to get anywhere close to the traffic that Old Reimers and the Greenbelt do.
 
The North Shore has two principal sections, separated by the drainage most hike down to access the crags. Most of the crags are north of the drainage, but three are south of it. One of those three is primarily a bouldering location.
 
Pedernales River Sunset

Pedernales River Sunset

Some Texas climbers give "world-class" status to the climbing at Reimers, but I'm not so sure about that. Yes, there are some really hard lines, and the rock is beautiful in places, resembling an outdoor cavern and with some of the coolest holds I have ever seen, but it's single-pitch sport here, and if there is any non-traverse route longer than about 40', I haven't seen it yet. So I question the "world-class" designation, but the climbing here is fun, and physical, nevertheless. Most of the routes are steep to overhanging.
 
Cool Limestone Hold

Cool Limestone Hold

A somewhat-odd feature at North Shore that is less prevalent at the main area of Reimers is the "mud ledge"; at most of the walls, there is a ledge 8-10' off the ground (sometimes there is a bolt to protect the moves onto the ledge, sometimes not), followed by an overhang pull that frequently is the crux of the route.
 
The Mud Ledge

The Mud Ledge

The walls here face northwest, which means they get little sun except on summer afternoons. This makes North Shore good for summer climbing, but it also means that walls can take several days to dry out after a good rain. North Shore gets almost zero winter sun.
 
Austin Climbing: Sport Routes & Deep Water Solos by John Hogge is the best beta source, in print or online, for this area. It also tells the history of the park and its route development.
 
 

There are a few options for guided climbing, but the best in my opinion is Rock-About.

Cottonmouth at North Shore

Cottonmouth at North Shore

Horse Nettle at North Shore

Horse Nettle at North Shore

Morning Glory at North Shore

Morning Glory at North Shore

 

Ice Plant

Ice Plant

Getting There

Trail Split

Trail Split-- go right for all but Matrix, Dude, and Unleashed

Reimers Ranch is located off Hamilton Pool Road about 6 miles west of its intersection with Ranch Road 12. It is about 45 minutes west from downtown Austin.
 
Once through the entrance station, drive to the end of the road (around 4 miles from the entrance station), following signs for "North Bank." 
 
The main access trail starts by the trash bins. By the disabled spots there is a trail that provides access to locations from which to rappel to Unleashed Wall or The Dude Wall.
 
Morning Glories at North Shore

Morning Glories at North Shore

Climbing Walls

Middle Earth Wall

Middle Earth Wall

Gypsy's Magic (5.7), First Bolted Route at North Shore

Gypsy's Magic (5.7), First Bolted Route at North Shore

Awesome Roof

Awesome Roof

 

 
South from the access trail:
  • The Matrix (bouldering)
  • The Dude Wall-- nice collection of moderates.
  • Unleashed Wall-- more moderates.
North from the access trail:
  • Philosophy Wall (toprope routes, with anchors)
  • Dreamer's Wall
  • Insanity Wall
  • Huking Buttress
  • Middle Earth Wall-- very popular, lots of moderates.
  • Mossy Wall
  • Gypsy Wall
  • Blues Wall
  • Cheech & Chong Wall
  • Bee Wall
  • Undead Cats Wall
  • Buzzards Roof
  • Little Guide's Wall
  • Awesome Roof Wall-- great if you love traverses.
  • Holladay Wall
  • Cheap Beer Wall
Tribute to Kirk Holladay (1969-2009)

Tribute to Kirk Holladay (1969-2009)

Tribute to Kirk Holladay (1969-2009)

Tribute to Kirk Holladay (1969-2009)

 

Red Tape

The daily entry fee is currently $5 per person. An annual pass is available to Travis County residents only and is good for all Travis County parks; it costs $80. 
 
Unfortunately, the pass is a windshield decal, not a card. If you want a duplicate pass for a second vehicle, you get to pay half the full cost for it. 
So it's a nice little racket they have going there.
 
Opening and closing times vary by the season. Check the park website.
 
Climbers in Central Texas are well acquainted with the biting ants all over the place. Watch where you stand and where you step.

This part of Texas is also home to all four types of venomous North American snakes-- copperheads, cottonmouths, rattlesnakes, and coral snakes. Again, watch out, especially for the coral snakes. They are shy and bites are very rare, but their venom is highly potent and can be fatal. Also, it is my understanding that antivenin for coral snakes is in very short supply and highly expensive due to the fact that bites are so rare.

Cottonmouth at North Shore

Cottonmouth at North Shore

Camping

None.  

Seasons

All year. Most of the walls face northwest and get good shade for much or all of the day. Since it is usually 90-100+ F out here May through September, it obviously makes sense to climb in the morning during summer. It's rarely too cold to climb here, but in winter, waiting until afternoon is a good bet.
 
If you have the flexibility, climb on weekdays. This place, and even most of Reimers proper, is virtually deserted then except during spring and winter breaks.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.