Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.31116°N / 10.42869°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7421 ft / 2262 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rotwand (Allgaeu mountains)Rotwand as seen from Balschtesattel (26-07-2009)


This peak is a subsummit which can be “pocketed” easily while being up to some other peaks of the Hornbach range in the Allgäu mountains.

Branching off from the main ridge to the south, there are several subridges standing high above Lechtal valley and bearing some interesting “minor” summits, a grazing ground for peak baggers. Rotwand, culminating south of Balschtesattel, a col in the southern subridge Kreuzkarspitze - Söllerköpfe, is marking the southern end of this subrange. The subridge divides the huge southern cirques of Balschtekar (to the west) and Noppenkar (to the east).

It is a rock summit, built up of Oberräthkalk, a limestone and a former coral reef in the long gone Tethys ocean. As the sediments in the basins between the reefs are nowadays marls and claystones, erosion had the chance to shape out Rotwand as a 50 m high rockface above Balschtesattel. If you look closely, you can find nice fossilized solitary corals near the basal limestones of the Oberrhätkalk.

The main and steep ascent winds itself up from the town of Elbigenalp in Lechtal valley. With a short detour and some easy rock scramble, secured with fixed steel ropes, you reach this tiny and nice summit from Enzensperger Weg, the grant trail between Hermann-von-Barth Hütte and Kaufbeurer Haus, too.


Getting There

Rotwand (Allgaeu mountains)Rotwand, Balschtesattel and Südlicher Söllerkopf (16-08-2009)


The main trailhead for Rotwand is Elbigenalp in the Lechtal valley.

You reach Lechtal valley


  • from Garmisch-Partenkirchen via Lermoos by using road numbers 23, 187 and 195 to Reutte / Tirol

  • from Füssen by using road number 198 to Reutte

  • from Innsbruck and Imst by using the Hahntennjoch road to Elmen / Lechtal

  • from Rheintal, Bregenz, by using Arlberg road and road number 198 to Lech / Warth



  • Follow Lechtal valley road number 198 from Reutte or from Lech / Warth until you reach Elbigenalp. The trailhead is at the western end of Elbigenalp where the Geierwally parking area (you´re reading right - Elbigenalp is home of famous Geierwally) is signposted. Leave your car here (2009: free parking).


    Red Tape

    No red tape as far as I know.


    Rotwand (left), Balschtesattel, Südlicher and Nördlicher Söllerkopf and Kreuzkarspitze as seen from Noppenkar / Enzensperger Weg (26-07-2009)



    Main Routes Overview

    Rotwand (Allgaeu mountains)Rotwand summit block (26-07-2009)


    From Elbigenalp follow the mountain road to Kasermandl mountain Inn and to the resupply cableway of Herrmann-von-Barth Hütte.

    At the end of the road Rotwand is signposted and the trail branches off from the hut ascent to the right. Follow this narrow and steep trail up to Göllner hut (hunting log cabin) and to Rotwand summit block.

    From Hermann-von-Barth Hütte follow trail number 432, traversing the huge Balschtekar to Balschtesattel. Rotwand is standing south of Balschtesattel. There is a narrow trail leading from Balschtesattel alongside the Rotwand rockface down to the trail junction with the above described ascent trail from Elbigenalp.

    The summit block trail is secured with fixed steel ropes. The route wents up steeply to a frist steep rock chute and up to the summit meadows. Then the route follows the west ridge, traverses into another rock chute and finally reaches the summit arête and the summit cross.


    Accomodations

    Rotwand (Allgaeu mountains)Rotwand summit view(26-07-2009)

    Rotwand (Allgaeu mountains)Ascent from Balschtesattel to summit trail (16-08-2009)


    In Lechtal valley there are all sorts of accomodations: Hotels, Inns, private Bed & Breakfast and Camping areas.

    For general infomations please refer to: Lechtal tourist page

    More detailed informations about accommodations in the nearest villages can be found on the homepages of

  • Elbigenalp

  • Häselgehr

  • Bach



  • Nearby mountain huts (alpine club or private huts) are:

  • Herrmann-von-Barth Hütte

  • Kaufbeurer Haus




  • Gear & Mountain Conditions

    Rotwand (Allgaeu mountains)Rotwand as seen from Balschtesattel (26-07-2009)


    Rotwand is a summer and autumn hike. As far as I know there are no winter and spring ski hike activities. It is a moderate to strenuous day hike from the valley trailheads or as a “secondary summit” during a more extended hike onto Söllerköpfe and / or Kreuzkarspitze. Rotwand can easily be summated from Enzensperger Weg, too.

    You need normal hiking gear with good shoes. As the more difficult passages below the summit are secured with steel ropes you need no rope or special gear for belaying. You should be used to exposed rock scramble up to UIAA grade I.

    Check the current weather here.