South Ridge, traverse from Peak 12,182

South Ridge, traverse from Peak 12,182

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.14100°N / 118.565°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.6
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the South Lake trailhead hike to the fork at the far (South) end of South Lake. Take the right fork to the lowest of the Treasure Lakes. From here climb southeast up towards the two smaller lakes that are in the Hurd Peak cirque.

Route Description


From the north side of these two smaller lakes head south and gain the obvious ridge running northwest from Peak 12,182. Follow this ridge to the summit of Peak 12,182 (3rd). Descend from the summit on 4th class terrain on the right side of the ridge, staying about 100' below the ridge to avoid some really steep towers. Regain the ridge when it looks possible and follow it as it swings north to the summit of Hurd Peak. This section is the crux and invloves some tricky downclimbing into notches and making minor deviations mostly to the right (east) side as needed. In this last section I encountered only one significant deviation off the crest of the ridge where I encountered a 20' notch and descended 60' into a gully that lead back upto the crest. The climbing mellows out closer to the sumit of Hurd Peak. Descend the west slope. This route is a fun short day on clean rock. It is overshadowed by pretty much everything else near it so it doesn't get much traffic. I recomnend it as an early season "everything else is covered in 10' of snow" route.

Essential Gear


A rope and slings for rappells if you don't want to downclimb!

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Hurd PeakRoutes