Storzic W Ridge (Psica)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.35060°N / 14.40910°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Rating of the Tour (By Hiking Standards)

See full screen
Approaching the W ridge of Storzic
Approaching the W ridge of Storzic

0. General: 725 m to 2132 m, exposition S and W, marked, protected route (ferrata sections). By the Swiss Scale for hikes the difficulty would be T4.

1. Effort: 1500 m, 4 h 30 min.

2. Power: 3 - medium.

3. Psyche: 3 - medium.

4. Orientation: 2 - easy (Aug. 15th, 2007 - it seems a few key points are newly marked).

Approach

The western ridge of Storžič starts on Velika Poljana pasture, 1410 m. This can be reached in 2 h from the south (above Povlje village, 725 m) or in 1 h from the north (Dom pod Storžičem, 1123 m).

Route Description

On Storzic W ridge
On the route
On the trails branching 1850 m
The trails branching 1850 m

From above Velika poljana pasture, 1410 m, just from the saddle, the marked path follows the western ridge of Storžič. We ascend through the woods, after some 100 m the path traverses southern slopes, but still ascends. Soon we reach a trails branching (1632 m). Proceeding by the south slopes would bring us above Javornik pasture, but our path turns to the left, up again towards the western ridge. The inscription also warns us that this path, although marked, is very demanding.

From the trails branching on, we reach the main ridge and follow it all the time to the summit. The western ridge of Storžič is also known under the name of Psica. It consists of some half a dozen of rocky 'towers', which our path crosses. On most steep and exposed places it is protected by steel ropes. Following the western ridge we all the time enjoy a broad panorama. After 1 h 30 min the Psica ridge ends below the summit structure of Storžič. Here the marked path from the north comes (from Dom pod Storžičem, through Žrelo). We are on the altitude of some 1850 m.

The final rock structure of the western ridge is steep, so the path first avoids it by southern slopes, then it climbs directly (steel ropes) upwards and then moderately steep towards the E. This is the most beautiful part of the tour - not just trivial, but still not too demanding to overcome. Finally over a few rocky steps we climb up on the fore-summit and in a few next minutes on the main summit.

Psica
Psica
On the W crest of Storzic
On the W crest of Storzic
On the W summit ridge of Storzic
On the W summit ridge of Storzic
On the west ridge...
On the west ridge...
W ridge from the summit
W ridge from the summit
This tour is the longest of all approaches to the summit of Storžič, and among the "hiking" routes the most demanding.

Essential Gear

Good shoes, poles.

PDF download

- Click to download a suitable A5 printout of this route description in Slovenian language!

- Click to download a suitable A5 printout of this route description in English language!



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

StorzicRoutes