Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 36.71670°N / 113.967°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Virgin Mountains are located across three states: Utah, Arizona, and Nevada. Covering 885 square miles (68% in Arizona and 31% in Nevada), it is the mountain range one sees when driving along I-15 from Las Vegas as you come up on Mesquite, Nevada just before entering Arizona. Virgin Peak strikes the eye when driving along I-15 going towards Arizona and Utah.

The Virgin Mountains form the famous Virgin River Gorge which runs along the 36 miles along I-15 in Arizona between Mesquite, NV and St. George, UT. This Gorge exposes red rocks that form steep cliffs and walls. This separates the Utah desert from the Virgin Valley in southeast Nevada.

The majority of this range is under the jurisdiction of the BLM. The range has species of lizards, as well as the glossy snake and Panamint rattlesnake. Trees found in the range include Arizona cypress, white and Douglas fir, Utah and Rocky Mountain junipers, and singleleaf pinyon pines.

Hikers in the Virgin Mountains see a variety of environments and topographic features. Scenic views and physical challenges are experienced from the lower elevations to the top of the many peaks that can be hiked here. Virgin Peak, the highlight of the Virgin Mountains, comes in at number 56 on the prominence list for Nevada Peaks with 3203 feet of prominence.



Getting There

From Las Vegas drive North on I-15 about 75 miles to Mesquite, NV (exit 122). You are now at the base of the Virgin Mountains. To get specific directions look at the Peak's directions for getting there (IE Virgin Peak or Mt. Bangs).

Popular Peaks in the Virgin Mountains

Virgin Peak



Virgin Peak Elevation 8,075 feet


15 May 2005 - Mount Bangs...






Mt. Bangs Elevation 8,012 feet


Little Virgin Peak





Little Virgin Peak Elevation 3,533 feet

Red Tape/Camping

This range lies almost entirely on BLM land. Camping is on BLM land is open and free.

For more information contact:

Management Agency:
Bureau of Land Management
Las Vegas Field Office
4701 North Torrey Pines Drive
Las Vegas, Nevada 89130
(702) 515-5000

External Links

  • Paiute Wilderness
  • Virgin Mountains
  • Virgin River Basin
  • Jim Boone’s Page on hiking Virgin Peak
  • Mesquite, NV Weather


  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Southern NevadaAreas & Ranges