Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.02500°N / 105.515°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7280 ft / 2219 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Wind Mountain is the highest point in the Cornudas Mountains. These remote desert mountains are located about 70 miles east of El Paso, and straddle the Texas-New Mexico state line. The Cornudas Mountains are located in an area known as Otero Mesa, a million-acre grassland located on the northern edge of the Chihuahuan Desert. The rugged Cornudas Mountains are virtually unknown. They are really just a clump of cone-shaped, igneous intrusions that rise dramatically above the desert flats, and include nine individual members: Flat Top, Washburn, Wind, Alamo, San Antonio, Chattfield, Cornudas, Black, and Deer Mountains. When seen from a distance, Wind Mountain looks like nothing more than a big hill. But as you get closer, you quickly realize that this is a real mountain, with cliffs, boulders, and steep scree slopes.

With an elevation of 7,280', Wind Mountain ranks way down on the New Mexico elevation list. But the new field of Prominence has made Wind Mountain a more important objective. With a prominence of 2,340’, Wind Mountain is just big enough to make an appearance on the New Mexico Prominence Map.

Getting There

Access to Wind Mountain requires a long drive on backcountry dirt roads. The route in is too lengthy to describe here, but the roads are good, so you shouldn't any problems. You can approach Wind Mountain from either Texas or New Mexico. You should have a BLM map of the area so you know where you're going. Your goal is to get to this point just east of Wind Mountain. However, since the road circles the entire mountain, so you can pretty much start anywhere.

Mountain Conditions

Wind Mountain is located on BLM land. Contact the Las Cruces District Office for the latest conditions. Their number is 505-525-4300.

BLM Map: Crow Flats.
Topo Map: Cornudas Mountain.


Camping

There are no developed campgrounds in the Cornudas Mountains.

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.