Adršpašské skalní město - Adrspach Rock Town

Adršpašské skalní město - Adrspach Rock Town

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 50.57190°N / 16.13308°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Sport Climbing, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Adrspach Rock Town

2010 May Adršpašské skalní městoEntrance view
Since 1933 Adrspach Rock Town is the largest national park in the Czech Republic, covering an area of 17 km², where Sandstone fins eroded by water, wind and frost into many interesting rock formations.

The main tourist trail is clearly marked and assisted occasionally by ladders and stairs. Beside romantic walks among bizarre rock formations there are also lots of challenging climbing opportunities.
The spring of the Metuje River forms two waterfalls (called Grand and Small Waterfall) and a natural lake, where for as little as 30 Kc (approximately $1.50) you can go for a boat ride.
The rock town has unrepeatable charm in every season. In the last few years, the Adrspach rocks gained popularity abroad. Therefore it is advisable to visit the area during the weekdays or early morning, as on weekends and holidays there are crowds of people.

The entrance fee is 60,- Kc (approximately $3.00) for an adult and half of that for children.

Getting There

2010 May Adršpašské skalní město
This rock formation is located about 30 min from Trutnov, between the towns of Trutnov, Nachod and Teplice nad Metuji in the northern part of the Czech Republic close to the Polish border.
From the town of Trutnov you can take a buss to the small village of Adrspach. From there a tiny single-carriage train, which winds and whistles it's way along the single track to a the town called Teplice. Exit the train at the station Skalni Mesto - The Rock Town. You can also take a train or a bus from all three previously named cities. It will take a maximum of a half hour from either of these towns.


Climbing and Bouldering

2010 May Adršpašské skalní město
Adrspach Rock Town is one of the most extraordinary climbing areas in the Czech Republic with approximately 70m towers with vertical cracks. The rock is a soft sandstone. Use of any metal hardware such as camalots or wires is not permitted. You can use only slings, cracks must be protected with knotted slings. The tops of climbs are bolted for repelling. It’s a climbing area called “crackers paradise”. The majority of routes are going through cracks or chimneys, slab climbs are also possible.
One of the highest formations called Lovers (96 m high) is located in the canyon called Siberia. E few others are Sugar Loaf, Krakonoš Stool, Krakonoš Piano, Elephant Square and many others.
For more climbing information you may purchase books at the entrance or over the internet.
Rock Areas in the Czech Republic has a listings of all climbing formations in the area with climbing difficulty grades and restriction. At this website you can find the following book with schematic sketches of climbing routes listing difficulty levels 500 Selected Climbs in Adršpach (unfortunately all in Czech language)


Camping and other accommodation

Camping - Adrspach


Rocks Adršpašské skály - Accommodation

External Links

Information on public hours, entrance fees and parking
more information

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
yatsek

yatsek - Jun 6, 2010 8:15 am - Voted 7/10

Taxonomy

Aranko, Do you think you could attach this album as a child? Jacek

ArankaP

ArankaP - Jun 7, 2010 6:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Taxonomy

Great idea, thank you, done

toc

toc - Jul 4, 2010 1:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Lat/Lon

50.611389°N / 16.115°W

ArankaP

ArankaP - Jul 4, 2010 4:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Lat/Lon

thank you

visentin

visentin - Jun 20, 2012 10:14 am - Voted 10/10

East Bohemian Sandstones

Hi Aranka ! I think this page should also be attached to the "East Bohemian Sandtones" page, which recapitulates all sandstones in a rich list : http://www.summitpost.org/east-bohemian-sandstones/257609 Thanks ! Eric

visentin

visentin - Jun 25, 2012 2:54 am - Voted 10/10

Re: East Bohemian Sandstones

You can do it also the following way: click on "attach" from your current page and select the Sandstones page as parent; you will find the sandstones by searching it via its number, 257609 (the search doesn't work well when names contain accents)

Viewing: 1-6 of 6


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

SudetesAreas & Ranges