Arbengrat WSW ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.03830°N / 7.66681°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.5 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: AD
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Like most 4000m peaks in the Valais the Obergabelhorn is a remote mountain. With a long approach and return, not aided by mechanical transportation, it is a serious climbing tour regardless of the route choice.
Airy belay
The Arbengrat (WSW ridge) is a narrow and exposed ridge of very good rock (gneiss) providing an enjoyable climb of medium difficulty. It is not considered the normal route because it is technically more engaging compared to the ENE ridge (normal route) but it is probably more straightforward and secure involving almost only rock climbing. In fact the Obergabelhorn is often traversed via the WSW and ENE ridges in either way. The route is often in good condition, and only the lower section, to get to the ridge, is exposed to rock fall.
The approach and the climb of the Arbengrat offer some of the best scenery in the Alps, the forbidding north face of the Matterhorn always in front, the Dent d'Herens, the Dent Blanche all the way to the Monte Rosa group are a constant distraction to the climbing action.

The route was first climbed by H. Seymour Hoare, E. Hulton with Johann von Bergen, Joseph Moser and Peter Rubi guides, 23 August 1874.

Getting There

The climb starts from the Arbenbiwak (3224m), an unguarded hut in a lateral valley of the Zmutt valley, on the south side of the mountain.
Matterhorn and Scenic waterfallScenic waterfall
From the Zermatt train station (1606m) follow the crowded main street (S) until you find a wide path branching right at the end of town. Follow this trail to Zmutt (W), then follow the signs to the Schonbiel hut. The trail reaches a steep landslide area which is avoided with a short detour down to the Zmutt valley, then climbs up again, passing by a scenic waterfall, to reach a meadow between the left lateral moraine of the Zmutt glacier and a valley to your right, the Arbenbach (here you will find the first sign post to the Arbenbiwak). Cross a bridge (2340m) and go up the Arbenbach (N) now on a wide road with switchbacks leading to a water capture. At the end of the road catch the moraine to your right (Arbengandegge) and follow the narrow trail on its crest. The moraine ends in a boulder field with rocher moutonee. Follow the signs (red paint) toward the prominent buttress (NW) where the bivouac is perched. Reach the buttress on its left side and climb the first ladder. The climb is steep and exposed but is aided by chains and foot holds. After the short climb the bivouac is reached traversing to the right (5:30 hours).
There is another option that shorten the approach somewhat: from Zermatt take the cable way to Schwarzsee, follow the road down to the Zmutt valley, pass by the large waterworks, traverse to the north side of the valley and reach the previous itinerary at the left lateral moraine of the Zmutt glacier.
The Arbenbiwak(15 places) is probably the best bivouac hut in the Alps: it is clean, equipped with photo-voltaic powered lights, a gas stove, pots, plates, cutlery, and a flush toilet. It is a pleasure to drop the required fee (20 CHF) in the box.






Arbenbach Arben valley
Route to the Arbenbiwak Approach route
Arben valley Arbengandegge
Arbenbiwak Arbenbiwak

Route Description

Arbengrat routeThe route from south
Early rays on the MatterhornSunrise on the Matterhorn
Obergabelhorn SW ridge from...The WSW ridge from S
Slanting ledgeSlanting ledge
To get to the Arbengrat you have to reach, and follow a slanting ledge (ramp) traversing the lower-left part of the south face. This section of the route is exposed to rock fall when there is still snow melting on the south face. The ledge, usually covered with snow into mid season, is clearly visible from the bivouac but it disappears behind a spur as you approach the face, finding the best entrance to this ledge can be a bit tricky in the dark.
Scramble up (W) an easy rock band behind the bivouac. A boulder field leads (N) to the upper Arben Glacier. Plenty of cairns help finding the route in the dark in this section. Proceed shortly (N) on the glacier then turn right up a steeper snow slope (bergshrund) but don't go too far. Start climbing the broken rocks of the south face entering into a gully to your left (or avoid the gully proceeding further at the base of the face and traversing left). At the end of the gully look for a passage left to go over the spur, you should find occasional cairns and signs of passage here if you are on the right track. When you pass over the broad spur the slanting ledge comes into full view. Reach the ledge and follow it to the end. Do not climb the chimney at the end of the ledge but go over a small ridge to your left and traverse to the crest of the Arbengrat at about 3700m.
From now on the route is quite obvious, it follows closely the ridge, a few meters down and left on the cold north-west side, or on the crest, except for a few detours to avoid the gendarmes. The first part of the ridge is not very steep and is mixed with snow and some icing. A first step is bypassed easily on the left side. Follow the ridge until you reach the first real obstacle, the Small Gendarme. Go round it on the right side (S) with a short but very exposed traverse with good holds. Return on the ridge and reach the Big Gendarme, more like a ressaut (a big step) than a gendarme. This is bypassed on the left side (NW) following ledges and then up on white slabs and a gully. The Big Gendarme can be climbed directly on the crest, there is a protection bolt halfway up, but the difficulty of this variant does top out at IV+(UIAA) (some nut protection near the crux). Follow the slabs on the left side of the ridge and reach the final ressaut, traverse left and use a system of cracks to return on the ridge. After the final ressaut the ridge eases reaching the West and East summits, nothing but two very fragile cornices hanging in the sky. The climb can be protected easily using long slings on outcrops, Cams (n.1,2) and nuts.






Lower ArbengratLower ridge
Small gendarmeSmall gendarme
ArbengratHigher ridge
ArbengratNearing the final ressaut

SummitSummit view

Descent

View from NW View from north
From the summit you can either return by the same route, or descend over the ENE ridge towards the Rothornhütte (3198m), alternating down-climbing and abseiling. Anchors consist in webbing woven around outcrops equipped with mallion rapide. Abseils are awkward and uncomfortable, the rope pulls you away from the ridge and into the face, and there are plenty of opportunity to get the rope stuck, use a single 60m rope.
Obergabelhorn - Wellenkuppe RouteDescent route

If you return by the Arbengrat make sure you don't proceed past the point where you should turn left, over the ridge, to the slanting ledge on the south face, there is no easy return past this point.
If you choose the ENE ridge be prepared for a long return. Abseil the upper part following the crest and reach the snow ridge with big cornices on the right. Follow the ridge on the steep north side (left) to the Kluckerturm, the big gendarme of the ENE ridge, climb it and abseil from the top (best option), or traverse on the left side (N). Another snow ridge takes you to the Wellenkuppe (3903m). The descent from the Wellenkuppe follows the ENE ridge, mostly on its right side (S). First abseil to a saddle on the ridge, follow tracks on the right side on loose and steep debris to a second abseil (right). Continue to a wide saddle overlooking the Trift glacier. On the glacier make an arch NW-N-NE-E-SE to avoid the crevassed area and reach the Rothornhütte. From the hut an easy trail leads to Zermatt.






Obergabelhorn 4063m - Arben ridgeDown-climbing the Arbengrat
AbseilingAbseiling the ENE ridge high
AbseilingAbseiling the ENE ridge low
Ober Gabelhorn 4063mENE ridge

Difficulty and timing

The Arbengrat is AD, rock climbing is mostly III (UIAA) with some short sections up to III+/IV-(UIAA) between the Small Gendarme and the final ressaut, the rock is very good. Timing can vary between 4 to 8 hours depending on whether you are quick and simul climb, or belay most of the route.
The ENE ridge is also AD but the snow ridges are subject to the variable condition of the snow, and the ENE ridge of the Wellenkuppe is a pile of loose debris on steep ground. Return via the ENE ridge to the Rothornhütte should take about 6 hours but can easily take longer, 3 more hours are needed to reach Zermatt.
For most parties it is probably going to be a long day out, unless you are a really fast team plan a second night at the Arbenbiwak or Rothornhütte.

Essential Gear

A single 60m rope, Cams n.1,2, a small set of nuts, long slings, carabiners, belay/abseil devices, two ice screws, ice axe, crampons.

Maps & Books

  • 1:25000 CNS 1347 Matterhorn, CNS 1327 Evolene.
  • H. Biner, Guide du Valais - Du Trient au Nufenen, CAS 2004 (french); Hochtouren im Wallis - Vom Trient zum Nufenenpass, SAC (2002) (german).
  • M. Brandt, Guide des Alpes Valaisannes - Vol.3, CAS (french); Clubführer Walliser Alpen - Vol.3, SAC (german).

    External Links

  • Find the necessary information about the huts from the excellent Swiss Alpine Club
  • Cableway information: Matterhorn glacier paradise

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.