North face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.00000°N / 7.65000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Snow & 55° Ice mostly
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: TD-
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


You get to the Valais in Switzreland and find the Zinal valley (Val de Zinal).
From there you walk south out of town (Zinal) and get yourself to the Cabane de Mountet 2886m.

Route Description


In the morning you will head southeast across the Glacier de Mountet to the base of the North Couloir.
Follow the Couloir up to the base of the 450m, 55°, N Face and keep on going to the top.

Essential Gear


Generaly one maybe two Technical ice axes crampons and a few screws, bit of rope food water etc etc etc

Firsts


1st Hans Kiener, Rudolf Schwarzberger, 30 July 1930.
1st descent, group of eight, JC Berger, Maurice Brandt, Remy Monnet, Charles Monnier, Adrien Voillat, Rose Voillat, André Zurbuchen et Andre Melli 13 july 1959.
1st winter ascent, Pierre Sala, Bernard Steulet, 1 march 1969.
1st ski descent, Martin Buurtscher, Kurt Jeschke, 16 july 1977.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Frank

Frank - Jan 18, 2003 2:31 am - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

The approach from Cabane De Mountet to the N-face is not that easy. It is pretty hard to find your track through the part of the glacier which is called "Le Coeur", because of the large number of crevasses. Start early. If this approach looks to hard, it is also possible to reach the N-face by climbing Wellenkuppe first and traverse to the N-face.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.