Becca di Moncorvè is a big rocky shoulder of Gran Paradiso south ridge.
The north side is a modest rock emerging only about 30 meter from Laveciau Glacier (close to the normal route to Gran Paradiso), on the south there is an interesting rock spur and a wide steep South-West wall.
First ascent: L. Vaccarone, 12 August 1885 from north side.
Climbing the south ridge of Becca di Moncorvè can be a more interesting route to climb the Gran Paradiso (the summit of the Becca is about 1/1,5 hour from the summit of Gran Paradiso).
From Valle d'Aosta follows the Valsavarenche until the route stops at the small village of Pont(parking)
From Pont a good path reaches the Rifugio Vittorio Emanuele (2.730 m. tel +39-016595920 )at Gran Paradiso in about 3 hours time.
For topos please refer to Gran Paradiso - Piemonte.
- Normal route from north. First ascent L. Vaccarone 12 August 1885. Follow the normal route to Gran Paradiso up to 3.800m. then turn right on Laveciau glacier up to the highest point ( not the three-points rock) only 20 minuts from the G. Paradiso route.Easy.
- South ridge and SouthEast wall. First ascent M.Sbrojavacca and A. Bonacossa - 12 July 1921. 2-3 hours. Difficulty II/III
- South ridge integral. First ascent J. Aiazzi and A. Oggioni - 9 September 1955. 4/6 hours. Difficulty IV/V
- SouthWest wall. First ascent M. Borgarello, A. De Monte, L. Nortdurfter - 6,7 July 1949. Difficulty: V
No permits requested but you must follow the rules being in a National Park.
When To Climb
Normally in summer, possible also in other seasons but the routes are of course more difficult.
- There are several suitable campings up to Pont.
- Rifugio Vittorio Emanuele ( 2.730 m.) tel +39016595920
For any updated info phone to Rif. Vittorio Emanuele.
For weather conditions Valle d'Aosta Meteo