Pointe de Bénévent is located in one of the most wild parts of the Chablais, in the center of the crown formed by the mountains Dent d'Oche 2222 m, Cornettes de Bise
2432 m and Mont Chauffé 2093 m. Near the busy Bise hut and Bise collar, the summit of Bénévent is a haven of loneliness and is often a restplace for ibex.
Col de Floray separates Pointe de Bénévent from Pointes des Pavis in the north. In the south, the summit dominates the Bise valley. Between, the Pointe and Dent d’Oche in the north spreads in western direction the Darbon valley, a magnificient alpine pasture.
Secondary summits of Pointe de Bénévent :
- Pointe des Fires 1956 m on the N ridge (climbed during the normal ascent from Bise hut)
- Mont de Chillon 1951 m on the W ridge
Start point is Vacheresse in the Valley of Abondance
a) by car
- Highway Lausanne- Grand Saint Bernard (N 9) collar exit Portes du Soleil-Saint-Triphon, direction Monthey, take the road in direction Pas de Morgins, Châtel, Chapelle d'Abondance, Abondance, Vacheresse
- From Thonon, départementale n°22 to Vacheresse
b) by train
- Station Thonon, 20 km from Vacheresse
- Station Aigle in Switzerland
C) by plane
Nearest station is Geneva Cointrin.
From Vacheresse, a little road leads to the Bise Hut (park)
1) Normal route : from Bise hut over Col de Floray. Follows the N ridge , climbs the Pointe des Fires and conturns the N rock wall on the W.
2) The normal route can also be reached from Darbon valley (long approach) or from Chalets d'Oche (see page Dent d'Oche) over Portes d'Oche and Darbon lake.
3) From Lac de Fontaine : follows the W ridge over Mont de Chillon
No red tape.
When To Climb
From June to October
Refuge de Bise - C.A.F. 1506 m - 70 places : open all the year, gardian in summer and some week-ends. Hut telephone : 04.50. 73.11.73. Gardian telephone : 05.50.78.18.28