OverviewSecond highest mountain of the Chablais, the Cornettes de Bise are the third element of the "trilogy" of the Chablais with the Dent d'Oche and the Mont de Grange. At 2432m, the Cornettes de Bise are not a very high mountain but they still dominate the horizon near Lake Geneva west of the Rhône, on the frontier between Switzerland and France. Cornettes de Bise could be translated as something like "horns of the north wind".
Getting ThereStart point is La Chapelle d'Abondance.
How to come to La Chapelle d'Abondance ?
- nearest airport : Geneve Cointrin (70 km)
- nearest station : Thonon les Bains (32 km)
Road from Thonon : D 902 during 11 km then D 22 at the left leading in the Val d'Abondance to Chevenoz, Vacheresse, Bonnevaux, Abondance and then La Chapelle d'Abondance.
Red TapeNo permits
Routes and Climbing overview1) Normal route, Col de la Vernaz, easy.
In the heart of La Chapelle d'Abondance, take at the left the little road to Chevenne (good and typical restaurant with cheese specialities). The path leads along the torrent of Chevenne.
After 10 minutes don't follow the GR 5 but turn to the right and follow the coomb over the chalets Toper.
Climb on a good path to the Col de la Vernaz (1815 m, fronteer between France and Switzerland). Walk higher on the left to the ferme de la Calaz (2067 m, highest summer farm of the Chablais).
Climb up a pasture coomb with late snow fields in july and reach a rocky zone with lapiaz near the Col de Chaudin (beautiful view down on the "Chaux du milieu", a wild red rock zone with the most time presence of mountain goats).
From here easy to the grassy summit (3h 30 from Chevenne)
2) NE face, winter route, easy
3) N crest, PD, of little interest
4) NW spur : AD, winter route
5) N face and crest of the Rochy Triangle : TD inf
6) N couloir : PD to D, winter route
7) NW face : PD
8) W pillar, Bartholomé route : ED
9) Normal route from Pas de la Bosse : see route "Couloir du Saix Rouquin"
10) SW crest : D sup
11) S face, first shoulder and SW crest : TD sup
12) S face direct route : TD
13) S face direct over the big pillar, Wasps route : TD sup
14) S face, Big Dihedron route : TD inf
15) Big south gully route : AD
16) SSE face, In the open star route : D sup
17) SSE face, Little Gully route
Other summits of the Cornettes de Bise range
|Tete de Lanche Naire||2350 m||secondary summit|
|Dent du Velan||2091 m||rock tooth, climbing II-IV|
|Pointe des Pavis||2075 m||rock climbing|
|Pointe de Benevent||2069 m||beautiful summit, easy|
|Pointe d'Arvouin||2021 m||easy|
|Pointe de Lachau||1962 m||easy|
|Pointe de la Bosse||1946 m||lonely grassy summit|
|Dent du Chat||1936 m||climbing|
|Aiguilles de Braitaz||1910 m||climbing|
When To ClimbCan be climbed all the year. Beautiful skitour in winter.
HutsRefuge CAF de Bise (1506 m). Tel 04 50 71 81 84.
CampingCamping in La Chapelle d'Abondance.
This town is famous for his good restaurants and hotels (low prices !) :
- L'Alpage** Tél 00 33 (0)4 50 73 50 25
- Le Chabi** Tél 00 33 (0)4 50 73 50 14
- Les Cornettes** Tél 00 33 (0)4 50 73 50 24
- Le Rucher** Tél 00 33 (0)4 50 73 50 23
- Dent d'Oche
Main page in Summitpost of Dent d'Oche
Main page of Mont de Grange in summitpost
- Chablais Grimpe
climbing and ski-mountainneering in Chablais