Bloomington Lake

Bloomington Lake

Bloomington Lake seen from the Central Summit of Saint Charles Mountain
mountaingazelle
on Jul 17, 2007 10:33 am
Image ID: 313122

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Andino

Andino - Jul 17, 2007 12:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice...

perspective !

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jul 17, 2007 12:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice...

Thank you! This is the view looking down about 900 feet above the lake.

Andino

Andino - Jul 17, 2007 12:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice...

Perfect for BASE jumping !

Afzal

Afzal - Jul 18, 2007 3:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice....

Perfect!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jul 18, 2007 10:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice....

Thank you, Afzal !

gjagiels

gjagiels - Jul 18, 2007 11:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Lake Depth

What a nice view and amazing how deep that lake is, I'll definately have to make a trip!

Greg

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jul 19, 2007 12:31 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Lake Depth

Thanks Greg! The lake is very out of the ordinary for this area. The mountains in Southeast Idaho are mostly dry but Bloomington Lake is one of the few exceptions. It is over 150 feet deep but the exact depth is still unknown.

Lodewijk

Lodewijk - Jul 20, 2007 1:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Great!

Great Pic, like the colour differences between the rock and the lake!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jul 20, 2007 7:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great!

Thank you, the rock is made of limestone and domomite. This is my favorite lake in the range.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Jul 20, 2007 8:03 pm - Voted 10/10

I really like the color schema

nice shot MG :)

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jul 20, 2007 8:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I really like the color schema

Thanks Dmitry, it is a colorful area because of the lake, forest, and the limestone cliffs.

I hope that your leg is healing and that you are doing well.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Jul 20, 2007 8:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: leg

Just got all the screws in today :) and there is even some possibility of a "walkable boot" n two weeks? We'll see. Ain't gonna be good for mountaineering but at least *some* moving around would be great!

mtybumpo

mtybumpo - Aug 3, 2007 1:18 am - Voted 10/10

Neat View!

This is a really great shot of the Bloomington! By the way I attached all your wonderful Bloomington Lake photos to my new Idaho Lakes album. If you have any more shots of any other Idaho lakes you're welcome to attach them there.

Geezer99

Geezer99 - Sep 11, 2007 12:12 am - Hasn't voted

Careful ! ! ! ! !

I was recently involved in the recovery of a young man in this lake. He was a strong swimmer and was in top physical shape. These lakes run cold all summer long and this one usually has a small glacier feeding it. The young man swam into a cold spot, cramped, and drowned. The majority of the lake is between 35-60 feet deep with the deepest area at the bottom of the picture. Sonar had the depth here from 48 to 160 feet deep depending on the exact area. This lake is excellent for swimming activities and is crystal clear but do not get too far from shore in this lake. It is a short but healthy hike of .7 miles from the parking/camping area.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Sep 18, 2007 1:52 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Careful ! ! ! ! !

Thanks for the information about Bloomington Lake. I will be careful. I’m not much of a swimmer, just a mountain climber. My friend lives nearby and is a SAR volunteer. He has helped rescue people from the rivers and lakes in these mountains and also found lost hikers during hunting season. Some of them have survived and others have not.

Props

Props - Jan 13, 2008 11:33 pm - Voted 10/10

I haven't seen...

Bloomington Lake from that angle yet - I'll be giving it a try. When I use to visit the lake I spent more time on the old rope swing on the right side of the lake in the photo. (is it still there?) Like Geezer99 said, that's mighty cold water!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jan 14, 2008 2:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I haven't seen...

Thank you. Yes, the old rope swing is still there. When I climbed Saint Charles Mountain there were many people using the rope to jump into the lake. Their reaction was something like AHHHHHH...it’s cold!!! The mountain has great views of the lake from above that few people see.

Viewing: 1-17 of 17