Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.85478°N / 111.90457°W
Additional Information County: Sevier
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6551 ft / 1997 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

One of several prominent foothills in the east side of Sevier Valley composed of compacted gypsum, salts, and capped by broken basalt. The scattered juniper and lots of grass make it great habitat for snakes.
Summit View Bullsnake Peak
Summit View Bullsnake Peak

Getting There

Take UT-24 southwest out of Sigurd, Utah. Drive 2.4 miles and take a left onto Sage Flat Road. Drive a mile to the waste disposal facility but take a left at the gate onto the dirt road. Continue on for another 2 miles and take a left onto a smaller dirt road that crosses Sage Flat. Continue on this for 0.4 miles and park at the bottom of the hillside where the road begins to travel upward. There is construction on a new road in the area but it is slow-going and would best be traveled by foot.

Route

Follow the dirt road currently under construction on the northeast flank. At the end of the road, ascend the steep slope to the west with basalt boulders with care. The slope flattens and the false summit is attained. From here, meander along the rolling ridgeline to the southwest and ascend the slope to the summit.

Round-trip Distance: 1.84 miles
Elevation Gain: 707 feet

Red Tape

The peak is on BLM land but there is no significant red tape.

When to Climb

Year-round.

Camping

There are no campsites in the immediate vicinity.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.