Butinarjeva grapa (ravine)

Butinarjeva grapa (ravine)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.43738°N / 13.73137°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Mixed
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: II/2-3, 200 mtrs
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Butinarjeva grapa is a short winter alpine climbing route in the eastern face of Mojstrovka mountain at Julian Alps. This route is very popular in winter due to its difficult grade, short approach and easy descent. Therefore expect to have other climbers in the route.
Butinarjeva ravine.
 Foto:...Bor - Butinarjeva grapa
Butinarjeva grapa (ravine)Butinarjeva ravine

Approach

Vrsic pass...Vrsic pass

The starting point for Butinarjeva ravine route is Vrsic pass (1.611 mtrs) at the heart of Julian Alps, situated some 12 kilometers south of Kranjska Gora.

More info about how to get there you can find on Mojstrovka main page.

Route description

Climbing at Butinarjeva ravineAlpine climbing at Butinarjeva grapa
VršićKepe - First part of Butinarjeva grapa

From the very top of Vrsic pass go strait up to the end of snowfield below the cliffs of southern ridge, called Grebenec. Butinarjeva ravine is the first ravine right of the Vratca notch where normal (south) route goes between the cliffs.

First part of the ravine is easiest - some 40°/50°. Gradually the route becomes more steep and if the conditions are good there should be no problems. At about 2/3 of the route you will reach small rock barrier (good for making anchors). From here you will have to climb the steepest part of this route (some 10-15 mtrs) that is steep up to 70°. After that continue straight up towards the top of Grebenec ridge.


Descent

Best way to descent back to Vrsic pass is via normal (south) route.
More info on Mojstrovka southern route.


Views

Fantastic view from...Škrlatica & Prisojnik from Grebenec ridge

From the ravine itself Martuljek group and Prisojnik are visible all the time. Once you exit the ravine, on top of Grebenec ridge, beautiful view opens on the other side towards Trenta valley, Kanjavec, Veliko Spicje, Bavski Grintavec, Velika and Mala Mojstrovka.


Essential gear

Good mountaineering shoes, helmet, ice axes, crampons and rope.

Red tape

Sometimes during winter time road for Vrsic pass can be closed for cars, therefore you have to inform yourself accordingly.
Butinarjeva grapa (ravine)Butinarjeva ravine


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.