Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.39880°N / 115.249°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 4365 ft / 1330 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Want an easy peak that can be done at the spur of the moment around Las Vegas that has stunning views? This is without a doubt one of the most rarely climbed peaks around Las Vegas. Castle Rock is on the next little mountain range just to the west of Gass Peak. Castle Rock is located in the southwest corner of the Desert National Wildlife Refuge (DNWR).

Castle Rock

Getting There

From Las Vegas take HWY 95 north. When you get to Exit 93 set your odometer to zero.

At 2.5 miles you will drive by the turnoff for Mt. Charleston. Keep going straight.

At 16.5 miles you will see the sign for Corn Creek Road. Start slowing down and get ready to make a right turn.

At 16.7 miles turn right at the turn off for Corn Creek Road.

At 17.5 miles is the DNWR visitor center. Park here and sign the sign in sheet. This helps the DNWR get more money.





At 17.6 miles is the sign with all the roads. Make a right turn onto Mormon Road. Follow Mormon Road for 4.1 miles (22.0 miles total) to Gass Peak Road and make a right.

Drive 2.6 miles (for a total of 24.6) There is a little road to pull into on the right. Park here. This is the trailhead.

Red Tape

None. There are no concessions (i.e., no gas, lodging, food, campgrounds) on the Wildlife Refuge. Camping is permitted anywhere within 100 feet of a designated road as long is it is not within 1/4 mile of a water source. Campfires are permitted using dead wood.

When to Climb

This can be climbed year round. However, with a summit of only 4,365 feet, it would be extrememly hot in the summer and not recommended unless it's early in the day.


Watch Out

In case of an emergency, call 911 if you have reception on your cell phone (don't count on it though). Refuge headquarters at Corn Creek (702-879-6110), but there might not always be someone there. The main office in Las Vegas during business hours is (702-515-5455). Otherwise you are on your own. Be prepared and self-sufficient as this is remote country. Be prepared to survive on your own. This is a hike I recommend to not do solo but if you do, let someone know your plan.

External Links

  • Desert National Wildlife Refuge

  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.