Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 37.99403°N / 122.49981°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1058 ft / 322 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
China Camp fishing village
China Camp Fishing Village and beach
This is a beautiful little park along the coast of San Pablo Bay on the east side of San Pedro Mountain. The location has a very peaceful and serene feeling to it. Point San Pedro Road winds along the coast with scenic views of the San Francisco North Bay. A good 15 mile trail system covers the area to the top of the mostly forested mountain. The coastline has intertidal marshlands with plenty of wildlife. There is a campground as well as recreational facilities for gatherings like picnics. It is a popular hiking and mountain biking destination. There is also horseback riding, swimming at the village beach, small boating and wind surfing. (Though I've never seen hardly any horseback riding or windsurfing there.)

On of the nice things about China Camp is the fact that it is inland by the bay and often stays sunny and warmer when the hills and mountains towards the coast are getting socked in with fog.

There is an old abandoned Nike Missile site with a few underground silos covered with concrete at the top of the mountain from the Cold War.


China Camp got it's name because in the 1880's it was a Chinese shrimp fishing village. When thriving it had almost 500 people, 3 general stores, a marine supply store and a barber shop. Experienced shrimp fishermen from China gravitated to the village. Most of the shrimp they caught was dried and shipped back to China or to Chinese communities in the US. There is a museum at China Camp Village.

Getting There

 
Tidal marsh at China Camp
Tidal marsh
From 3rd Street in central San Rafael go east on Point San Pedro Road which becomes North San Pedro (all the same road) out 5.3 miles to the village. There is a parking lot on the right above the village.

Red Tape

 
Red Tape sign
 
Click on this sign for red tape info. 
This info was new to me. It has always been free. To the best of my knowledge this is posted at only one location and there are many locations from which to enter the park.
The gate to the fishing village parking lot and to Back Ranch Meadows campground are closed at 9 pm. There are reservable picnic sites and campground.

Click on Friends of China Camp for the best  red tape info about camping, reservations and general use of the park.
For general State Park rules and regulations click here.

Camping

 
Sky over San Pablo Bay
Sky over San Pablo Bay
For camping info in the park click here.

Current weather and forecast

 
Rat Rock
Rat Rock
For weather and forecast for China Camp click here.

Trail map of China Camp State Park by Every Trail

 
Mt. Diablo and Volmer Peak
Mt. Diablo and Volmer Peak from San Pedro Mtn.
Here is a great little google map of the trails from Every Trail.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.