Ring Mountain Open Space Preserve

Ring Mountain Open Space Preserve

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 37.90987°N / 122.4858°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 602 ft / 183 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Sunset from Ring Mtn.
Sunset from Ring Mountain west highpoint
Ring Mountain is an open, grassy hill with 2 high points at the north end of the Tiburon Peninsula in Marin County between the towns of Corte Madera and Tiburon in the SF northbay. It makes up for it's lack of elevation with interesting geology, rare plants, great spring flowers and a few big rocks that are popular bouldering destinations for bay area climbers.
Nature lovers will find a delicate balance of wildlife with birds and especially butterflies.
This is a fine place to stretch your legs for short easy hikes to a few high points that offer good views of Mt. Tamalpais, the north bay hills and the San Francisco skyline 10 miles south.
The western high point (588') covered with serpentine rocks is the most interesting viewpoint.

Getting There

 
Spring on Ring Mtn.
Spring flowers on Ring Mtn. north side
North side access: From Hwy. 101 take the Paradise Dr./Tamalpais Dr. exit east onto San Clemente Dr. which merges into Paradise Dr. and go about 1 mile. The trailhead is on the right just past Westward Dr. with roadside parking.
This is the longest approach from sea level.

South side access: From Hwy. 101 in Mill Valley, take the Tiburon Blvd/E.Blithedale Ave exit east on Tiburon Blvd and turn left on Reed Ranch Rd. MCOSD gate is at the end.
This approach is short with a starting elevation of 300'.

East side access: From Hwy. 101 in Corte Madera, take th Paradise Dr/Tamalpais Dr exit east onto San Clemente Dr. which merges into Paradise Dr. and go about 1.5 miles. Turn right at Taylor Rd, MCOSD gate is at the end.
This is the shortest approach with an elevation of 450'.

West side access: From Hwy. 101 in Corte Madera take the Paradise Dr/ Tamalpais exit east onto San Cemente Dr which merges with Paradise Dr. and go about a half mile. Turn right on Prince Royal Dr. and go .3 miles.Turn right on Endeavor Dr. a short distance to the gate.
This is a short approach below the west highpoint with an elevation of 300'.

Red Tape

 
Rules and regs
Red Tape sign

Camping

 
San Francisco from Ring Mtn.
SF from Ring Mtn.
 
Hikers on Ring Mtn. looking north
Dad and son hikers looking north
There is no camping in Ring Mtn. Open Space.

Bouldering on Ring Mountain

 
Mt. Tam from Ring Mtn.
Mt. Tamalpais from Ring Mtn. west highpoint
 
Turtle Rock
Turtle Rock
Click this Supertopo link for bouldering on Ring.

More on Ring Mountain

Geology
Ring Mountain Rocks! Bay Nature Institute

Hiking
Bay Area Hiker

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.