Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.71934°N / 109.30221°W
Additional Information County: Grand County
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Aid Climbing, Big Wall
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6000 ft / 1829 m
Sign the Climber's Log

The Titan, Echo Tower, and Cottontail Tower

Three Big Ones

                                                                                                                                                   
Photo by rpc         

Overview

History
Cottontail Tower is the monolith that lies in the heart of the Fisher Towers of eastern Utah. Centrally located amongst the group of other similarly impressive towers, Cottontail has rich climbing history. It was first climbed way back in 1969 by a party of six: Harvey T. Carter, Art Howells, Don Doucette, Mike Dudely, Morgan Gadd, and Herbie Hendricks. The group produced the route West Side Story, which to this day remains the most "moderate" route to the summit. Another decade would pass before the tower saw a second ascent, the impressive FA of Brer Rabbit on the west ridge of the formation, made by Ed Webster, solo. In the late 1980s, Jim Beyer put up the extreme aid line Intifada, which was originally rated A6. As if these feats weren't impressive enough, Cottontail Tower was free climbed for the first time in 2009 by Rob Pizem and Jason Haas, via West Side Story at 5.12+. 
Ledge with a view

Cottontail, seen from the top of pitch 7 on the route Fantasia, on The Oracle. Photo by Brian C.

The Tower
Cottontail Tower rises about 850 feet above the trail that snakes its way through the Fishers. A unique summit rockcap, remniscient of a rabbit's tail, sits as the highest point atop the massive fin that makes up the tower. Given its proximity to the trail, the routes on Cottontail Tower all share the easiest approaches in the Fishers. But that is about where the "easy" ends. All routes to the summit of Cottontail Tower require difficult aid and free climbing. Most routes are concentrated on the tower's west face, whereas the blank east face is only home Beyer's nebulous routes Intifada and Free Gaza.Out of the 6 or so routes on Cottontail Tower, the only ones that "regularly" get done are West Side Story and Brer Rabbit. 
The Routes. Keep in mind these are Fisher ratings...all change frequently and are up to personal interpretation. What the hell is A4 in mud anyway?
Road Kill - 5.9 A4 West Face
Not So Soft - VI 5.8 A3+ West Face
West Side Story - VI 5.9 C3 West Face
Trick of the Tail - IV 5.10+ A3+ West Face
Brer Rabbit - 5.10+ A2+ West Ridge
Intifada - A4+? East Face
Free Gaza - A4?  East Face
Line In The Sand A4? South Face
Fisher Towers

                                                                                              Photo by strudolyubov

Where in the World is this Place?

Refer to the excellent directions to the Fisher Towers on the area page's Getting There section. From the parking lot, follow the winding trail for about 1 to 1.5 miles. You'll see it. 

Red Tape

The Fisher Towers are located on BLM land and do not require any permits for climbing. 

When to Climb

You can climb Cottontail Tower any time of year, depending on your ability to withstand extreme heat and/or extreme cold. 
Unnamed Image
                                                                                              Photo by Brian C

Camping

There is a campground at the trailhead, with a fee of somewhere around $16. There are fire rings, tables, and a vault toilet, but no water. Be sure you are fully stocked with water, as the nearest treated water is in Moab. 

External Links

  • MountainProject.com entry for Cottontail Tower.
  • Also check out Desert Rock III: Moab to Colorado National Monument, written by Eric Bjornstad. 



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.