Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.71993°N / 109.30159°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Aid Climbing, Big Wall
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5980 ft / 1823 m
Sign the Climber's Log
Image Title
Enlarge
Sunset can bring some dramatic lighting.

Overview


 

As climbers began to take higher interest in the Fishers, the major towers were slowly climbed. Although Laytor Kor put up the classic Finger of Fate on the Titan, he never returned to the area. Harvey Carter took charge, and over the years became the first person to climb all the other major towers in the Fishers. After putting up the CO NE Ridge on the Kingfisher, Carter turned his attention to its sheer neighbor Echo Tower. Over several days, Carter and company put up a tenuous route up one of the prominent chimney systems. This route faded into obscurity after aid hard-man Jim Beyer soloed his way up a nearby crack system and patched together a way up the "best crack system in the Fishers". The new route was named Phantom Sprint and at 5.9 C2+, quickly became the new "standard" route on Echo. The tower slowly developed several other lines, but all involved thin nailing on poor rock. Echo Tower remains a seldom visited tower that offers spectacular climbing to a thrilling summit.

Echo Tower, Fisher Towers, UTCarter's North Chimney
Echo Tower, Fisher Towers, UT  The summit ridge.

Getting There


 

The Fisher Towers lie about 20 miles east of Moab on Hwy 128 and good directions can be found on the area's main page. Getting to the base of Echo Tower is pretty straight forward and an easy-to-follow trail meanders from the parking lot to the tower. The key is leaving the main trail just below the Cobra and following the lesser-traveled climber's trail up between the Kingfisher and Echo. Getting to a specific route can be another matter and can involve hard to follow climber's trails to various places on the tower. I will leave the particular path up to you depending on what brings you to Echo.

Image Title
Enlarge
Approach map.

Red Tape


 

There is currently no red tape to negotiate in the Fishers as it is BLM land. Still, there are a few things to be mindful of. Avoid trampling on the cryptobiotic soil as it is a very delicate organism and is easly destroyed by a careless footstep. Also, several of the routes on Echo involve nailing but the "standard" route, Phantom Sprint, is considered a clean route (it has gone free!). I do not want to open the debate of whether or not to nail on certain routes as the conditions can change all the time, so please just be very thoughtful of whether the hammer is really needed or not to be safe, or if you're just in over your head on a particular route. Creative clean placements (tricams, hand-stacked pins, hooks, etc.) combined with a bit of bravery can go a long way in making an ascent clean versus pulling out the hammer.

Camping


 

There is a small camping lot with assigned sites at the parking lot. It is on a first come first serve basis and is often full. More info can be found on the BLM site.

Guides and Other Info


 

There are some good resources on Echo Tower and the Fishers in general. Here are a few... 1) Desert Rock III: Moab To Colorado National Monument by Eric Bjornstad 2) Excellent info can be found on mountainproject.com. 3) Good trip reports on Echo are few and far between. Here are a few... ColoradoClimbers.org

Routes


 

Here are some of the notable routes: North Chimney - Phantom Sprint - 5.9 C2+ Iron Chef - 5.7 A3+ Sidewinder - 5.7 A1+

Have Fun Out There!


 

Echo Tower, Fisher Towers, UT  Gear!
Echo Tower, Fisher Towers, UTPhantom Sprint
Echo Tower, Fisher Towers, UT  "Fixed Gear"
Echo Tower, Fisher Towers, UT  FA Bolt
Echo Tower, Fisher Towers, UT  Steep
Echo Tower, Fisher Towers, UT  Summit



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.