Craciunesti

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.01370°N / 22.52290°E
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lunch time
Craciunesti Gorges are a part of the Metalliferous Mountains, a Carpathian mountain range in western Romania. They are crossed by the road that links two villages: Baita and Craciunesti.
The main rock that you can find here is limestone. In the twentieth century, in the nearby there was a limestone quarry; however, in 1988 the area was declared reservation, and from 2006 it became a reservation of european interest - "Calcarele din Dealul Magura" (Limestones from Magura Hill).
There are two climbing areas. The first one is down, near the bridge, and is called Sturu Wall. Most of the routes are for sport climbing, they are 15-25m long and their difficulty vary between 5b and 8a.

The other one, Vanataria, is much bigger, it also has sport climbing routes, but here you can find many beautiful traditional climbing routes (2B...6A).

Getting There

Craciunesti Map
By car, from Deva following E79 (22 km) or from Brad (20 km). You can live the car near an old bridge that used to lead to the quarry.

Red Tape

You don't need any special permit to climb here.

Camping

Add Camping text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
peterbud

peterbud - Mar 13, 2010 7:46 am - Hasn't voted

Climbing info

Here is some data for climbers interested: http://www.amunteanu.go.ro/cheile_craciunesti.htm

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.