Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.22047°N / 112.89025°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Crazy Quilt Mesa is just east of Checkerboard Mesa. If you're driving on the East Entrance Road, it's the much-larger peak to the right of Checkerboard.

Features-wise, it looks much like Checkerboard. Like its smaller neighbor, it might have a scrambling route up and down it, but I currently know of only 2 established routes, and they go at 5.5 and 5.8.

Super-soft sandstone makes the grades here into headgames where almost everything is do-not-fall terrain, but if you're up to it, the climbing is fun and the views are great.

Crazy Quilt Mesa with Moon 1
Crazy Quilt Mesa with Moon 1
Crazy Quilt Mesa with Moon 2
Crazy Quilt Mesa with Moon 2
Crazy Quilt Mesa
Crazy Quilt Mesa

 

 

Getting There

Park at a pullout 1 mile from the East Entrance Station (or 0.7 mi from the Checkerboard Mesa pullout). The picture below is from the pullout. Just cross the road to start the very short approach.

Crazy Quilt Approach
Crazy Quilt Approach

 

Routes

A scrambling route might exist, but there are 2 established routes-- 5.5 and 5.8-- that reach the top:

  • Crazy Quilt-- 5.5, 7 Pitches
  • Crazy Streak-- 5.8, 10 Pitches

Both of these routes have some bolts on them, including some bolted anchors, but they are trad routes, not sport routes. You're going to be very unhappy, even on the 5.5, if you come out here with just your sport draws.

Red Tape

It now costs $30 for a week-long car permit.

When to Climb

Spring through fall

Camping

Recreation.gov lets you reserve sites in the park. Dispersed camping outside the park is possible but tricky because a lot of the surrounding land is privately owned. Just outside the East Entrance is Hi-Road Basecamp, a privately owned facility that has campsites and small cabins; showers and laundry are also available.

 



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.