Deertrap Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.24067°N / 112.94495°W
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6921 ft / 2110 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Deertrap MountainDeertrap Mountain



Like the nearby Cable Mountain and Observation Point, Deertrap Mountain is not a true Mountain. It is a spot on the eastern rim of the Zion Canyon with commanding views. To the west of Deertrap Mountain, slickrock walls drop down and eventually reach the bottom of Zion Canyon 2600 ft below. From the east, however, Deertrap Mountain appears as one of the many high points that rise above the surface of a 6700 ft high plateau.

The USGS Map puts the words “Deertrap Mountain” near the edge of Zion Canyon. It does not give it an exact elevation, only contour lines of 6800-6880 ft. A 6921 ft high point is identified a short distance to the northeast of the words “Deertrap Mountain”.

Deertrap Mountain is usually climbed via a well-established trail that branches off of the East Rim Trail. The easily accessible trailheads are a long way away from Deertrap Mountain. The shortest distance to Deertrap Mountain is from the Ponderosa Ranch Trailhead (8.2 miles hiking distance roundtrip). Reaching Ponderosa Ranch Trailhead, however, requires a four wheel drive vehicle. The other two options are the Weeping Rock Trailhead (16.8 miles roundtrip, 2600 ft vertical) and the East Rim Trailhead on Highway 9 (17.8 miles roundtrip, 1250 ft vertical). The Route via Weeping Rock Trailhead is more scenic but is more strenuous. In my opinion, the best route is to start at the East Rim Trailhead on Highway 9, go to Deertrap Mountain and then follow the East Rim Trail to Weeping Rock. You can pay one of the commercial shuttle bus systems in the town of Springdale to drop you off at the Highway 9 Trailhead. Once you reach Weeping Rock, you can take the free park shuttle bus (April through October) back to Springdale.



Map of East Rim, Deertrap Mtn. & Cable Mtn. TrailsMap



Getting There

East Rim Trailhead: From the eastern entrance to the park, drive less than 200 yards west on Highway 9 to a road on the north side of Highway 9 to reach the trailhead.

Weeping Rock Trailhead is on the Zion Canyon Road a few miles north of Springdale, UT. No private vehicles are allowed on this road April through October. You must take the park shuttle bus.

Route

This Route starts at the East Rim Trailhead on Highway 9, goes to Deertrap Mountain and then follows the East Rim Trail to Weeping Rock.

All distances are per my GPS. Please note that the given distance is to the first viewpoint on the edge of Zion Canyon. From the first viewpoint you can follow the trail a few tenths of a mile north along the edge of the canyon to a dead end.

Place
Elevation
Distance
Highway 9 Trailhead
5700 ft
zero miles
High Point
6750 ft
-
Deertrap/Cable Jct.
6450 ft
5.5 miles
Cable Mtn. Jct.
6850 ft
1.1 miles
View Point.
6740 ft
2.3 miles
Back to East Rim Trail
6450 ft
3.4 miles
Weeping Rock
4350 ft
5.0 miles
Total
-
17.3 miles


Please see the page for the East Rim Trail. The description below starts at the junction of the East Rim Trail with the Deertrap/Cable Mountain Trails.

At the junction of the Eat Rim Trail, follow the Deertrap/Cable Mountain Trail. The trail takes you by a small stream up a little hill. You will soon see a small waterfall (when water is flowing).





At the junction with East Rim Trail
Waterfall



The trail slowly goes up among the trees and bushes.





On Trail
On Trail



You can see forested high ridgelines in the far distance to the east and north.




Distant RidgelinesDistant Ridgelines




After 1.1 miles you will reach the junction of the Cable Mountain Trail. Follow the sign for Deertrap Mountain and turn left. You are now up to 6850 ft in elevation. You can look west to see The West Temple on the west side of the Zion Canyon.




At the junction of Deertrap & Cable Mountain TrailsJct. of Deertrap & Cable Mtn. Trails



You will then slowly go down in elevation to a minimum of 6680 ft. You will note a small valley forming. This valley provides the headwaters of Hidden Canyon.






Hidden Canyon DrainageHidden Canyon Drainage
Hidden Canyon DrainageHidden Canyon Drainage
Hidden Canyon DrainageHidden Canyon Drainage



The trail then heads west toward the next high point, 6850 ft. At the base of the high point, it makes a few switchbacks.






Point 6850 ftPoint 6850 ft
Going up to Point 6850 ftGoing up to Point 6850 ft
Going up to Point 6850 ftGoing up to Point 6850 ft


At the top of 6850 ft, you can look west to see Point 6921 ft.




Point 6921 ft, East FacePoint 6921 ft, East face



You will first have to go down again to 6760 ft.





Down to 6760 ftLow Point
Down to 6760 ftLow Point



The views from the top of Point 6921 ft are not the best. You can however, look north to see part of the Zion Canyon including Angels Landing and The Great White Throne.





Angels Landing from Point 6921 ftAngels Landing
The Great White Throne from Point 6921 ftThe Great White Throne


The trail goes down again to around 6740 ft. You can look back to see the west face of Point 6921 ft.




Point 6921 ft, West FacePoint 6921 ft, West Face




Just before reaching the main view point, you can look south to see the Pine Creek Canyon.



Pine Creek ValleyPine Creek Canyon


You will then reach the view point at the edge of the canyon and be blown away by the magnificent views. You can follow the trail a short distance north along the edge of the canyon.








Looking SWLooking SW at Mountain of the Sun
Looking N/NWLooking NW/W
Looking W/NWLooking W/NW
Looking W/SWLooking W/SW
Looking SW/WLooking SW/W
Looking SWLooking SW at the Twin Brothers



Red Tape

You must pay park entrance fee.

No permits needed for day hikes. See link below for all rules and regulations:
http://www.nps.gov/zion/index.htm

Weather

See the forecast for Springdale, UT

External Links

Website:
Deertrap Mountain


Books:
A Falcon Guide, "Hiking Zion & Bryce Canyon National Parks", Eric Molvar & Tamara Martin.


Maps:
National Geographic, "Zion National Park, Utah, USA" #214

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - May 6, 2014 10:42 am - Voted 10/10

Name

I read in a book I own that the name comes from the fact that Native Americans used to herd deer up on this plateau in order to hunt them.

nader

nader - May 6, 2014 2:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Name

Thanks Bob, I think I read that somewhere too.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.