Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.08698°N / 117.2138°W
Additional Information County: San Diego
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1041 ft / 317 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Denk Mountain is the unofficial name of the highest point in the City of Carlsbad, CA. It is located on a preserve with over 6 miles of hiking/mountain biking trails of varying difficulty that lead to the peak. The hike up and summit features great views up and down the San Diego coast, especially west to where the Batiquitos Lagoon meets the Pacific. The trails take you through coastal sage scrub habitat. 

Getting There

Add Getting There text here.

Route

From the trailhead at the intersection of Camino Junipero and Corte Romero, start hiking up the Switchbacks Trail 0.5 mile to a junction with the Connector Trail. The recommended route from here is a loop up the Connector Trail and the Mule Deer Trail, returning down from the peak via the Switchbacks Trail. This is a much easier and safer route going up than down it. You can hike the Switchbacks Trail down at a pace that allows you to more carefully observe the habitat you are traversing. If you decide to take the Swtichbacks Trail up, it will be a challenging nearly 2-mile hike.

Turn left on the Connector Trail to the junction with the Mule Deer Trail and turn right to hike up to the peak and return via the Switchbacks Trail. It is 0.57 mile to the peak via the Mule Deer Trail junction — the fastest, most direct route.

Red Tape

The trails are open year-round from dawn to dusk. You will have to park in a housing development by the trailhead.

When to Climb

The best times to go are during winter months or in mornings outside of the summer because there is no shade.

 

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
iditarod81

iditarod81 - Jun 7, 2021 11:50 am - Hasn't voted

Getting There

Take 5 North to the the La Costa Ave exit. Turn right onto La Costa Ave and continue for 4 miles. Turn left onto Rancho Santa Fe Road. After .8 miles, turn right onto Camino Junipero, then in approximately .2 miles turn left onto Corte Romero. Park along the street and find the trail head at the beginning of Corte Romero.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1