East approach from Dom Petra Skalarja

East approach from Dom Petra Skalarja

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.36030°N / 13.44360°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble on an easy feratta
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up and secured climbing
Sign the Climber's Log

Note

Vid: I updated this description. Bor, if you find anything inappropriate, please just edit again.

Approach

Clouds above Kanin/Canin plateauClouds above Kanin plateau

The starting point is the upper station of Kanin cable-car, cca 2200m (3h) or Dom Petra Skalarja (hut), 2260m (2,5h).

For more information check the main page of Kanin.

Upper station of cable car - Petra Skalarja hut

Hi, I m not a ciarn"Hi! I'm not a ciarn, you know!"

From the upper station the marked path goes gently up towards the north. It is here still the same direction to: Prestreljenik window, Petra Skalarja hut and the summit of Visoki Kanin. In a shallow basin below the main ridge of Kanin mountains first towards the left the path to the hut deters. The hut is visible on the nearby ridge, but the path goes quite around.

The next ascent is steep and also protected. Normally, there should be no difficulties, except if perhaps there's too much snow on the path. After gaining some 30 meters, we cross a rocky rib and then the path starts crossing the karst plateau towards the hut. The direction is south, at the end south-west. The path is avoiding deep chasms, abysses and caves, sometimes we move over narrow ribs or small ridges. Don't leave the marked path, especially if there's snow around! 25 minutes.

Route Description

Approaching Dom Petra SkalarjaAbove Petra Skalarja hut

1. Directly from the cable car station. As described above, you first go slightly up towards the NW into a shallow basin below the main ridge of Kanin mountains. There first the route towards Petra Skalarja hut deters left, but we continue westwards. The path starts ascending on the side ridge which descends from Hudi Vršič towards the south (on the lower part of this ridge, there's the hut). Before coming up, the trail towards Prestreljenik window deters right. Now we have only a few minutes and from the small saddle on the ridge we first time see the summit of Visoki Kanin. Some 40 minutes till here.

2. From Petra Skalarja hut. From the hut we follow good marks towards the north, all the time by the broad ridge, which comes down from Hudi Vršič. The crossroads on the small saddle in the upper part can be reached in some 20 minutes.

3. The joint ascent on top of Visoki Kanin. Now the path starts crossing the slopes below the main ridge of Kanin mountains. Left below is the broadm karst plateau, where we see an infinite number of holes, chasms, walls, ribs, even one example of natural door. We are mostly moving horizontally over screes (named Dolgi prodi), right above us are the steep rocky slopes of the main ridge.
Hiking along eastern route...Branko - Dolgi prodi
Kanin/Canin east approachDolgi prodi
Stone gate on KaninNatural bridge

In one hour we approach the summit enough, so that the path enters the rocky wall and starts climbing on the east ridge of Visoki Kanin. This part is steep and protested, so some care is needed. After reaching the ridge broad views towards the north and west open.
Visoki Kanin and Mali KaninBranko - Visoki Kanin
Czech climbers on the summit ridge of Kanin/CaninNW views from the ridge
On the E ridge of Visoki KaninBranko - gaining the E ridge

Then the path goes by the ridge towards the west, avoiding a few steeper sections on the southern side. Also the route by the ridge requires some care. Generally it can be considered as an easy ferrata. One notch is more exposed, a few more bumps and we are on the very panoramic summit.
Detail from Visoki Kanin ridgeBranko - On the E ridge
Hiking on Visoki Kanin eastern ridgeBranko - up and down by the ridge
Coming on top of Kanin/CaninComing on top

Essential Gear

Good hiking shoes, rope for not good climbers.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.