East Ridge/ Red Box

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.28360°N / 118.12°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Drive up Angeles Crest hwy. about 14 miles from the 210 fwy. and turn right at the Mt. Wilson road intersection. The Red Box picnic area (aka Skyline Park) is located right there. Park in the lot on the east side of the street . From here the trailhead is across the street(Angeles Crest hwy.) and about 50 yds. east. Or park in the dirt turn-out at the trailhead. There is a sign at the trailhead. Follow the Strawberry peak trail (12W05) for 2.3 miles of easy hiking along an excellent trail until you get to Lawlor saddle. From here take the trail to your left (west) up the East Ridge of Strawberry peak.

Route Description

From Lawlor saddle to the summit (1 mile) the trail is much steeper and strenuous. Steep sandy sections and rocky scrambles lead up the ridge past a couple of notches. There are some large Pines on the right when you start to get close to the summit.

Mileage from trailhead: 6.6 miles round trip.
Elevation gain: 1500'

Essential Gear

No specal gear required.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.