East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.61430°N / 123.5143°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Drive to the King's Mountain trailhead as described in the "getting there" section of the main page.

Route Description

Start out on the King's mountain trail, and veer right after 0.1 mile onto the Wilson River Trail, and follow this mostly level trail for about a mile and a half. Just before a bridged stream crossing, turn left onto remnants of an old logging road. Keep left (west) of the stream following the remnants of the old road for 0.2 miles until it crosses a small tributary coming from the west. After this, veer slightly to the right , but still left of the main stream. The Base of the east ridge will be obvious at this point. Bushwack your way uphill until you find a well padded game trail, and follow it up onto the ridge. After this point, simply continue in an uphill and northwest direction. As you get higher up the ridge, it will narrow and steepen, and excellent views of Coxcomb Ridge and neighboring Elk Mountain will become more frequent. At one point you will be walking along a "knife edge" with sharp cliffs to your left. At about 2900 feet , the ridge fades back into the forest. After this point, simply head uphill on game trails until topping out just below the summit register. Descend via the main trail back to your car.

Essential Gear

None needed.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
mandrake

mandrake - Mar 5, 2006 3:31 am - Voted 10/10

Route

Looks like the sign and marking tape have been removed. Faint trail in a couple spots but it's almost entirely disappeared. Expect a couple scrambly bits.

cmc56789

cmc56789 - Mar 6, 2006 4:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Route

Thanks for the update! Kind of a surprise that the sign is gone since it looked relatively new.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.