Kings Mountain Junior Loop

Kings Mountain Junior Loop

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.60499°N / 123.5256°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy with one steep section
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kings Mountain Junior is a ridge southwest of Kings Mountain. It offers excellent views of the Wilson River Valley and of the west face of Kings Mountain. It can be combined with the Kings Mountain Trail for a pleasant loop hike through a mixed forest of alders and conifers.

This route will be affected by the Scotty Dog Timber Sale, and will likely not be accessible during this time.

Getting There

Drive to the King's Mountain trailhead as described in the "getting there" section of the main page.

Route Description

Start out on the King's mountain trail. After 0.1 mile, and just past a right junction with the Wilson River Trail, veer left onto the Wilson River trail. Follow this for about a tenth of a mile until you come to an old logging road, which (as of January 2008) has a sign for Kings Mountain Junior.

For a shorter, but brush filled and steeper route (not recommended), take a right onto this road. Shortly after this junction, you will pass a landslide. After the landslide, the old road gradually degenerates into a trail. Occasionally, there will be faint blue dots marking the trail to remind you that you are headed in the right direction. At about 1.5 miles after leaving the Wilson River Trail, you will come to a talus slope. Follow the path veering slightly to the left. Shortly after this, the Wilson River Trail rejoins from the left.

Alternatively, you could also stay on the well maintained Wilson River Trail and follow it to the same point. Shortly after this junction, It will be obvious you are at the base of a ridge and there will be an overabundance of blue blazes on the trees and a steep trail heading up the ridge to the right.

Follow the steep path on the right, which shoots straight up the ridge and (as of July 2009) is marked with orange flagging. This route has also been known as the Bun Buster Trail or Coronary Ridge. This path leaves the Wilson River Trail just before a tree marked BB and one marked C-ASS in blue paint. This path steeply ascends to the summit ridge, and may be difficult in wet conditions. It is approximately 0.2 miles from the trail to the summit of 'Kings Mountain Junior' (2190 ft).

To get to Kings Mountain from here, descend northeast to a wooded saddle. This trail is overgrown, but is well marked with orange flagging. From the saddle, this faint trail ascends to join the main Kings Mountain trail at a point just below a sign proclaiming there is .63 miles to the summit of Kings Mountain. Simply follow this trail to the top, and then descend via the main trail back to your vehicle. Total round-trip distance will be a little over 6 miles.

Essential Gear

None needed.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
burton

burton - May 1, 2009 7:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Coronary Ridge

There is an elk trail that leads from the Nature Trail up a steep embankment and then over to the Kings Mt. Trail. We were thrilled to find the orange flagging in abundance. Had only a little trouble following the path. Be careful on the ridge at the top! A good wind could blow you off. The signs make it clear where the trail is. Not sure exactly what Kings Mt. Jr. is. Probably the same thing as Coronary Ridge, which is aptly named if you're going over to the Kings Mt. Trail. Puff Puff.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.