El Cajon Mountain Cragging

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 32.91470°N / 116.8189°W
Additional Information Route Type: Technical climbing
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.6 to 13+ and some natural lines exist
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Take highway 67 to the intersection of Mapleview Road and head east. Turn left on El Monte Road after about a mile and follow this about 5.5 miles until you see a sign "Road Ends 1000 Feet." Park here.

Route Description

From the parking area, head back towards the gate about 150ft. You'll see a trail heading down the slope and crossing the wide sandy riverbed (usually dry.) You'll follow this trail, same as the South Arete trail but after intersecting the old jeep trail, continue up about 200 yards and look for a trail heading up towards the obvious climbing area cliff. Follow this trail all the way to the end at the base of the cliff. Approx 1 to 1.5hr depending on speed and how hot it is. Not recommended in summer.

Essential Gear

A 60m rope is mandatory here to reach anchors and rap stations. All of the sport routes will go w/ 14 quickdraws. Bring a rack of nuts, some shoulder length slings and a set of cams if you feel like tackling some of the old trad routes.

Free topo's at http://climbingtoposofsandiego.com/
(San Diego Climbers Coalition website has been decommissioned; the proprietor is too busy vandalizing San Diego climbing areas.)

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.