South Arete

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 32.91470°N / 116.8189°W
Additional Information Route Type: Long Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2/3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Take interstate 8 East from San Diego to Lake Jennings Rd. Go north 3 miles to El Monte Road and turn right. Proceed until you see a "No Camping/No Fires" sign on your left. That is the trailhead. You can park along the road there.

Route Description


The route goes off the road through a riparian area. Some climbers have been kind enough to point the way up with blue painted arrows and occasional signs noting "summit" with an arrow. In case you don't find these, continue up the trail until you hit a junction. Turn right and head for the South Arete. This trail leads directly to and up the side. More blue arrows and "summit" signs greet you up the ridgeline.

Essential Gear


You may consider rope for the descent of the more difficult Class 3 sections on the ridgeline, because they tend to be quite exposed.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
McKnight

McKnight - Dec 28, 2008 10:33 pm - Voted 10/10

South Arete

The south Arete is a very fun route. I have done it every saturday for the past few weeks. The only thing i can say is that the trail up is at times hard too follow. The good thing is that because of the steep ridge you are climbing up there is only really one way too go and that is up. There are stacks of rocks piled up along the way in some areas, Follow those as much as you can. As for descending, The same can be said. It takes a few times before you can ascend and descend and know exactly where your going. I climb this route alot and prefer it. If you ever have any questions or want a more hands on approach, I'd be happy too lead people up.

davenose

davenose - Feb 1, 2017 1:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Ticks

It is a fun route; I've done it a few times too. The first time I did it, I wore shorts and came back with a couple scrapes and ticks on my legs. For subsequent attempts, I wore light long pants treated with permethrin and didn't have those issues again. Prepare appropriately.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.